Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New In-Ground Bin Pics

Posted by King_Kale 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 16:15

Hey all,

After about a month of planning, I finally put my in-ground worm bin together yesterday. It's an 18-gallon Rubbermaid tote buried neck-deep. My bedding consists of cardboard chunks, peat, compost and hay that have been layered, fluffed, and misted with a sprayer. I wasn't quite sure how high to fill it, so I played it by ear. I'd say it's a hair under 1/2 full of material. Is that too much? From what I understand the worms will be chomping on everything in the bin, with the exception of the hay (it was fresh) and the peat, so most of it should eventually turn into "black-gold" anyway. Is this correct? Also, I buried 8 oz. of finely chopped frozen and sun-defrosted table scraps an inch or two deep. I will be adding scraps regularly. However, when I checked the bin today, I saw that I already have little mites and flies buzzing around the food. Will this be a problem, or will the worms get along with these little guys? The mites were a whitish-clear color, and were straddling the line between tiny and invisible. The flies were also fairly small and looked like baby fruit flies or something. I've since set a piece of cardboard on the ridge wrapping around the inside of the bin about 4" down from the plastic lid, almost like a second lid. Will this help? Either way it's good for moisture control. Anyways, I have included pics, and I'd like to get feedback on possible adjustments and/or improvements. Heck, I'll even take an "all clear" if everything looks kosher. Thanks everybody, KK.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New In-Ground Bin Pics

Here's the food. No mites or flies visible in this pic.

o

And here's a close-up of the bedding.

o

I have several "on-ground" wormries, which work very well in this mild climate. In ground is better for maintaining temperatures, as the earth is a great insulator.

Worms will eventually eat everything in the bin, including hay, after it breaks down.

I have no experience with mite problems, but many others do. I don't think they will hurt your worms. Fruitflies are annoying but harmless.

Your false cardboard lid is ok and may help keep moisture in and light out.

1/2 full is ok as long as it mostly bedding. Resist the urge to feed until all previously deposited food is gone. Start slow with the food and use LOTS of bedding.

Did you drill holes in the bottom for drainage? The worms will stay put as long as conditions are right. The holes will allow excess liquid to drain.

Hope this helps. Good luck, Pete

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here