Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting vegetables in the bin

Posted by Niivek (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 16:37

While digging around the bin last night, I found the rotting ginger root from the back of the fridge I through in a while ago. It was rooting out like crazy, so I pulled it an put it in a planter. I think next spring I'm going to try a bunch of tuber starts right in the bin. It takes FOREVER to get a sweet potato to produce roots and slips in a jar with water. Might work faster if I start them right in with the rest of the rotting vegetables.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting vegetables in the bin

Potatoes are doing great in my outdoor compost bin. Best thing in the garden. Previous to that they looked good enough to compost. Guess they decided they wanted to grow instead of rot. Also noticed the huge bowling ball beets have nice shoots. I would eat them if they were not in the vermicompost bin.

o

I start my potatoe seeds in my wormbin and they do great. I have also seen carrots start to take off.

o

Worm poo is truely amazing. Tuesday night when I planted that ginger, I pulled out a little apple tree sprout I started last year in a pot. It wasn't doing anything and I figured it was dead, but I put it in a babyfood jar with pure poo just for the heck of it. Last night it showed fresh new growth.

o

While harvesting today saw a couple sprouts. I had missed a potato, it rotted and created two seed potatoes with sprouts. The seeds were about one inch across and quite healthy. I planted them.
In the past I have transplanted wormbin pumpkin sprouts with success.

Happy wormin'

o

About a month later, the apple tree is growing well, ginger popped up and is getting leaves. Also, had a bunch of butternut squash sprouts pop up in the bin a few weeks ago, so I planted them, not expecting much since they sprouted in the dark. Those stems died off in a day, but the roots took hold and the butternuts are coming up nicely in the cucumber mound that I forogt to plant cucumbers in in the garden.

o

"I think next spring I'm going to try a bunch of tuber starts right in the bin."

OUTSTANDING!

Paul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here