Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Safe to use old vitamins in my worm bin?

Posted by officedrone 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 18:07

I tend to buy multivitamins in large containers and I always have some left over after the expiration date on the bottom. I'm wondering if I can pulverize them into tiny bits/powder and add to my worm bin? Seems like it wouldn't hurt them and would most likely provide some crop grit at least. Has anyone else done this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Safe to use old vitamins in my worm bin?

Don't vitamins dissolve in water? I wouldn't count on it providing grit. In any case, most established worm bins have plenty of grit to go around.

I'm not sure what goes in multivitamin tablets. There's plenty of inert material in there besides the active ingredients. It probably won't do the worms any harm in the short term. I just don't know what happens in the long term as material builds up in the bin. It probably won't matter if you're talking about a dozen tablets once a year.

Andrew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here