Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluelake_gw

Worm Confusion

bluelake
13 years ago

I'm confused about temperatures for worms.

My BF bought me 2 boxes of Canadian Nightcrawlers (18 per box). So I put all 36 in my raised flower bed under freshly laid compost and leaf mold. I then looked up the living conditions for these worms and it said they could not be in temperatures over 70 at the highest. That was yesterday, and I fully expected them to be dead today.

I found some where I put them and they were listless, yet alive and rather cool to the touch. The weather here has been mid 90's and probably won't change until DECEMBER or so. Anyway, I just went out to an Iris I've had sitting in a black plastic bucket for about a year, to rinse all the dirt off the roots and put in my pond. I hit the bucket to losen the soil and it's chock full of worms.

I set it down, disgusted with not knowing what to do with THESE worms and wondering why they were thriving in a sauna.

I will, in a few hours, go get the worms out of the bucket and put them in the raised bed as well, and continue on with cleaning the roots of the Iris, but I'm confused about tempeatures worms can survive in.

I know there are over 440 species of worms, but I can't spend all my time learning their temperature preferences.

Anyone have any insight to this or should I just ignore it (the heat) and hope for the best for the Canadian nightcrawlers and the strange ones thae appear to love heat?

My red wigglers in their small indoor home are doing fine. They've been in there about 4 weeks and I noticed some babies yesterday. Hopefully there were cocoons in there when I bought them.

Happy worming to all.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH