Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stm319

new to vermicuposting

stm319
13 years ago

So I started my first worm bin on June 9th. I bought a 3 drawer plastic cart (drawers 20w X 15d X 7h inches), drilled 20-30 - 1/8 inch holes in all sides & bottom as well as 8 - 1 inch holes in the bottom of each drawer. I filled 1 drawer with leaves, shredded newspaper, hay, dirt, 2 pounds worms, then almost a gallon of compost. The first day or two, many worms kept crawling out. I added a bit more bedding and problem solved. On June 17th, the bin looked like mostly soil so I added another gallon of compost & mixed everything up. For the next day, a few tried to crawl out but I caught them & returned them to the bin. None have crawled out since. When do I know when it is ready to harvest. Or would they determine this on their own if I put bedding and/or compost in the drawer above them? Would grass clippings work well for bedding? Also, I threw a whole rotting onion in the bin, but the worms really haven't touched it. Is it bad for them or just tough to get through the outer skin? Also, they seem to be congregating in certain areas even though there is no food in the area. Seems like most of the compost is gone again, except for the corn cob, potatoe, & onion. Should I add another gallon of compost? When adding compost, should I first discard the liquid? I did not the first two times. The temp is about 68 degrees in our basement where the bin is. Now there are seeds sprouting in the bin. Any suggestions for my worms?

Comments (3)

• wildgoat
    13 years ago

Grass clipping makes great bedding!

Avoid putting onions in your bin!! I would get that onion out of there right away!

• sbryce_gw
    13 years ago

You don't need the dirt.

The compost is ready to harvest when it it mostly processed, IOW, you cannot recognize any of the food or bedding items.

If you have a system where you expect the worms to crawl up into an upper tray, just realize that it could take a long time for that to happen. I allow 3 months, and still find lots of worms in the lower tray. That being the case, it is still a good way to harvest. After those three months, the lower tray is mostly pure castings.

Grass clippings do NOT make good bedding. Even dry, they have too much nitrogen. The compost you are feeding the worms is probably one of the best things you can use as bedding.

Onions are fine in my bin. I put them in all the time, but never whole. Your worms may not like onions, or it could just be the tough outer skin.

What is food to the worms are microbes that you cannot see. We feed the worms organic matter, the microbes eat the organic matter, and the worms eat the microbes. It may not look like food to you, but it may be a rich feast for the worms.

A gallon is a lot of compost to add all at once, but if the worms are eating it, put more in. Compost is both great bedding and great food.

Corn cobs can take a long time to break down, unless they are ground up.

Why does your compost have liquid? Compost should be moist, but not wet.

You seem to be doing OK.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    13 years ago

Just got back upstairs from putting a whole onion into my bin. It was half rotted. It is not my favorite thing to feed because the dried onion skins linger in the vermicompost so I get to see them a second time. But maybe not so long that I see them a third time. It did not go into the outdoor compost like I may prefer because like when there is a blizzard outside and I don't want to bring the kitchen scrap bucket to the back 40 (feet) compost pile, it is hot out now so I did not want to drag the scraps through the humid heat at night.

That gallon of compost you have fed your worms. We have been using the word compost to mean material from an outside compost pile that is a few weeks, months or years old. Are you using the word compost to refer to a gallon of kitchen scraps near the kitchen sink that is a few days old? I'm thinking that might have the liquid you are refering too.

If you have eggshells you can add those to the worms. They like playing in them, or crush them now into whatever size piece you will not mind seeing again in your harvest material. And did you have any egg cartons or coffee trays like hold 4 cups of coffee? I can hear the worms asking for them.

I am wondering how the worms are going to go up a tray. In a drawer system does the upper tray touch the lower tray? And if it does how does the drawer still slide? You may find weight starting to be an issued for the frame as your system grows. Plastic drawers are sometimes hard to work even with light items in them. You are the first poster I recall using a system exactly like this here.

Sounds like you are having fun!