Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will perlite hurt my worms?

Posted by jajm4 z5 w. mass usa (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 18, 11 at 20:13

I've had an indoor worm set up for 20+ years, but I just did something without thinking and now I'm not sure if I've messed it all up.

I had a dead plant in some potting mix with perlite in it, and I tossed it in the bin, thinking the worms would eat the plant and the soil mix would just get mixed with the castings and I would then recycle it into the next growing medium later.

But then it occurred to me that maybe perlite is bad for the worms. They won't eat it, will they? I mean, is it the sort of thing that could do them harm if they try?

What about vermiculite? I sometimes add some of that to my containers, too, to keep the mix from being too heavy. I'd like to be able to add defunct container plants to my worm bins without worrying about adding the potting mix along with them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will perlite hurt my worms?

I doubt it. If diatomaceous earth doesn't hurt worms, I don't see why perlite would. Worms are tougher than they look. They can burrow through some pretty rough stuff without getting all scratched up. They also ingest all sorts of sharpish material like crushed eggshells, etc. But if you're uncertain, just scoop most of it out.

Andrew

o
RE: will perlite hurt my worms?

I think you can "add defunct container plants to my worm bins without worrying about adding the potting mix along with them." I would.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here