Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have a worm quesion.

Posted by Masbustelo Il. 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 20:56

My garden soil is a loess, and essentially is pure 100% clay, originally wind deposited. I have a high organic matter content, but very low worm population. I read some where that in this type of soil there is no grit for the worm crops, and hence no worms. I read that by sprinkling and working granite sand in the soil the worms will begin to appear. Does this sound plausible? Also there is no granite around here and where would one get such an item?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have a worm quesion.

First off, if your soil is clay and hard to work with I would build a raised bed and look into square foot gardening. If you don't mind the work and want to amend your soil, I would still use Mel's mix for the top eight inches of soil. The mix is one third vermiculite, one third peat or coir, and one third compost. Over time you will need to renew the compost, and VC is a great addition,but would be hard to use exclusively.

As far as adding granite, I would lean more towards rock dust that has a wide array of mineral content. A very popular one is azomite. There is also Gaia glacial rockdust and a couple of others available. Basically put, the soil has been depleted of it's mineral content, and people now try to add that back into the soil with powdered rocks. Not all rocks have the same components, and some only add one or two minerals like greensand. It takes very little to do a large raised bed.

o
RE: I have a worm quesion.

To answer your question about worms just appearing, if you amended your soil or had a raised bed with healthy soil, yes there would eventually be worms and all sorts of living things to help your garden grow.

By just adding rock dust, I doubt that would be enough to completely revive the soil, but you could always make two plots of land. One amend and make a healthy soil, and the other just add crushed rock. Then plant a garden in both and see what happens. Mother nature is pretty resilient and might make it happen in both plots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here