Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mouldy banana skins

Posted by organic_wonderful 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 21:11

I have one of those kitchen composting caddies that you put your kitchen waste into. Since I eat a lot of bananas, the banana skins build up in there. The ones at the bottom have become quite moldy, and I was wondering whether the mouldy bits at the bottom are still okay to put into my wormery?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mouldy banana skins

Toss em in. The worms love them.

Dave Nelson

o

Yup, worms love mold. I'm assuming from your handle that you're talking about organic bananas. There's been some discussion that non-organic bananas have been sprayed with something that inhibits worm reproduction. I haven't noticed it because banana skins are a very small % of my food scraps and I have large worm bins. But it's something to consider for those with smaller bins and lots of banana skins.

Andrew

o

Possibly empty more frequently or eat more vegetables so it gets full and then needs emptying more often. Or tear into inch size pieces the cardboard carton from the eggs and put this at the bottom of the caddy. This will make the enviornment dryer and less mushy on the bottom and keep the container pleasanter. When adding the contents of the container to the bin the carton can go in too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here