Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Mold in Worm Bin

Posted by WormyMom NM (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 22:03

I am a noob to this too so bare with me. I had my worms in a shredding paper, coffee grounds, dirt mix until they started trying to escape.

Over the weekend, I made a batch of organic peat moss, yard waste and dirt. I wet it down enough to make a sort of dry paste. The yard waste consists of thistle bird seed from my feeds, leaves and pine needles. My question is now, there is a lot of mold growth in it. Is this something I need to worry about? Isn't mold just another part of the composting process? My worms aren't trying to escape and the moved from the old bedding to the new fast.
Relp! I love these little guys as much as you can love worms. And thank you!

WormyMom


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Mold in Worm Bin

As you said, mold is just part of the decomposition process. IMNSHO, it IS possible to have too much mold, but that condition usually corrects itself eventually.

BTW, from your description, I would guess that you are putting way too much dirt in your bin. You don't need any at all.


 o
RE: Mold in Worm Bin

Yes you can use coffee grounds. But I have visions of a new bin with a pots worth of bins added daily. If so, maybe back off on the coffee grounds, shreded paper and dirt. Add corrigated cardboard, coffee tray, and kitchen vegetable and fruit trimmings. These are compost worms, if you ordered compost worm. Not earthworms. Compost worms live in compost above the ground. Earthworms live in the soil. Learning Process.


 o
RE: Mold in Worm Bin

  • Posted by rou1 none (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 28, 13 at 14:43

My worms love mold!


 o
RE: Mold in Worm Bin

Be sure to keep some bedding available for them. Mold is good.


 o
RE: Mold in Worm Bin

Don't put pine needles in your compost bins.


 o
RE: Mold in Worm Bin

>>Don't put pine needles in your compost bins.<<

Pine needles aren't forbidden, they won't hurt the worms, they just take 3+ years to break down, and their little sharp, pointy ends keep poking you when you need to go through your bins by hand, making them very annoying to have in the bins.


 o
RE: Mold in Worm Bin

Not only is mold ok, it's essential for the worms!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mold and composting worms


 o
RE: Mold in Worm Bin

Humor. Points for that. Dirt no. How about rock dust? A product with biochar, mycelium and rock dust would be the cats pajamas.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here