Horse manure & Feed Trhough fly control

Posted by barbararose21101 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 23:37

attept to delete post

This post was edited by barbararose21101 on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 23:27

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Horse manure & Feed Trhough fly control

In order to assuage your concerns about the safety of horse manure, and to get this post off the top of the list, let me offer the solution for safely using it to assure no chemicals in it will be harmful to your wormies.

When you get some horsie-poop from someone, just let it lay out in the sun for about 30 days. All the chemo-worm killers will dissipate.

That said, this post will lose its eternal position alone and atop the threads.

You're welcome,

Chuckiebtoo

o
RE: Horse manure & Feed Trhough fly control

I had never used or heard of feed-through fly control until your post. I try to get the manure in the worm beds before the flies hatch.... but I do have some flies.

I searched some common non-toxic varieties and found diatomaceous earth as the only ingredient I would worry about. That small amount should not harm the worms.
I have never heard of anyone having any problems vermicomposting with aged horse manure, except for overheating. Worms love it!

Your comment about the differences in horse dung is so true! Quite the variety is available out there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here