Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bltlover

paley method results - euros in a bucket of dirt

bltlover
9 years ago

Hey all, hope everything is going well. Everything seems to be going well with my euros. I posted back in February when I got them and ended up just using plastic bins instead of a FT system. I have been feeding rather slowly of late because I plan to harvest them soon and redo the bins for the first time. I had planned to do something sooner but it has been so busy.

At that time I read a webpage by Bryan Paley and considered using that method to try raise "mini adult" euros. I did end up trying three test buckets of dirt. I planned to document it well, but apparently I used that particular paper towel with my notes to blow my nose or something...but as I recall I started soon after that post. Call it March 1.

On March 1 I made three experimental buckets, drawing euros from three different bins.
Prep:
Bucket#2 (worms drawn from bin#2) is a plastic 5 quart ice cream dish. Almost surely vanilla. I added drain holes in bottom on one side and large air holes on top. Filled with half garden soil (fun to dig in Feb!) and half chopped vegetable scraps. Added 25 euros. Kept moist.

Bucket #A (stock drawn from large bin), same as above.

Bucket #1 an old plastic diaper pail, approx 3 gallons, a few holes drilled in bottom for drainage, large holes drilled in lid for air. Filled about halfway. Ran out of food scraps so I complemented with some old dry dog food. Added 30 euros. Kept moist.

After about a week or so I brought the three test buckets upstairs because it was down around 50F downstairs. I thought a little warmer would be better. We keep the upstairs around 62 or 64F during winter. Big mistake on my part...they warmed up too quickly and one of the bins had the worms on the surface within a few days. I took them back downstairs and dumped them out, but it was too late for Bucket A. One lone survivor there, struggling to lay an egg. The egg was almost out...I got the camera and shot video for a few minutes hoping to capture it but that worm must have had stagefright. I decided to leave it in there. I didn't see any other eggs but I didn't look very hard. Bucket #1 and #2 were okay, all accounted for. Whatever food I had added to Bucket #A must have been wrong. Good thing I wrote it down on that paper towel!

For the next 3-1/2 months I did nothing but water the dirt... when I remembered. Maybe 10 sprays every week or two, only on the side of the bucket that I had holes on, hoping to give an option for the worms to choose wet or dry. Temps went from 50-52, then up around 55 when near oil burner, and finally up to 80F when it got hot and I still had them near the oil burner. Now it is back to 72-73F, using the concrete floor as a heat sink. All that time, when I would open the buckets to spray, I'd see movement from the worms. After just a few weeks, mushrooms/fungi started growing like crazy, and that lasted maybe a month or more. When the basement warmed up, that finally abated.

On June 17th I examined Bucket#1, the diaper pail. It took about 6 hours. Seriously. The entire bin was balls of wet dirt. The dirt near the bottom was very sludgy. At the top it was drier but still very damp. I went bit by bit, clump by clump, and tried to unearth everything I could find.

As I initially dumped the bin, I had to scrape the bottom out as carefully as I could. There were worms of all sizes and many eggs. I decided to segregate full size worms from anything substantially smaller than the breeding stock I began with. The eggs went with the small worms.

As it turns out, every full grown euro with which I seeded the bucket was still alive. Very big and seemed very robust and healthy. I did not have them tagged or anything, but I am quite sure these are the same I started with, just a little fatter. I knew all along there were some adults left because I could see them shift the surface dirt every time I sprayed, but am amazed they ALL seem to have made it. There are some other worms that are sort of near regular size, but nothing is near as large as any of the breeding stock I put in.

In addition to those 30 full size worms, there were 265 worms ranging from tiny to smallish. Some were clearly adult worms, just much smaller than the stocked worms. The last sort I went back through the now very small pieces of dirt and turned up another 101 tiny worms. Additionally, I tallied 701 eggs. About 2/3 were green, 1/3 brown. I assume the brown ones are soon to hatch.

I happened upon one set of worms that I am pretty sure were coupling. They were very skinny and small..maybe 1 mm in diameter. I got some pics of them but did not get the coupling on camera I want to check and see if they look like viable adults. Pretty sure one had a band as it crawled away. If not they fooled me pretty well - they were stuck together for a good ten seconds while I reached for the camera and tried to start it without getting it dirty.

That 701 number on the eggs is a minimum. Some of the eggs were full size, but a lot seemed smaller than the regular worm bin worms. Some, maybe 5%, were very tiny. They looked like normal, just smaller. I could very easily have missed another 10%, maybe 20%. That goes for tiny worms, too.

All told, from the 30 healthy euros and 3-1/2 months time, I counted:
30 healthy full size
265 small to tiny
101 tiny to hatchling
701 eggs

I have not looked into the reproduction rate of euros - I know it is often called slow in comparison to red wrigglers - so perhaps someone familiar with it can chime in with the math. Some of the small worms have to be breeding. There is no way the 30 full sized euros could account for all of that directly.

The Bucket#1 worms are all sequestered now. I think I will split half off into a rich manure bin and see if they really grow to full size in 3 weeks, with the remainder back into dirt. I really don't plan to spend 6 hours counting worm fry ever again, but I have to say I think there is something to this size modification. Bucket A is almost surely a loss, but Bucket #2 has many adults just under the surface, the same as Bucket #1 had. I expect similar results from that one.

Here is a link that might be useful: mirror of paley's webpage

Comments (15)

• mendopete
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very interesting post. You have lots of patience to do that sorting job. I am sure you learned a great deal.
    The link provided is a great read. Paley has some interesting theories and techniques. I have never heard or read about raising mini-worms. Also his theory about bed depth is new to me.
    Much of what he wrote about validates my own observations and beliefs with regards to stressing the bin to increase reproduction, and reproduction rates in general.

I have been purposely overheating my bins/beds with an overload of horse manure. My worm population in large outdoor beds got starved-out and dried-out last summer. I believe that by overfeeding and stressing larger bins with heat, reproduction GREATLY increases. I also believe my worms left MANY cocoons before "checking-out". I think the presence of abundant food and heat causes "dormant" cocoons to hatch.
    If I had followed the "Paley method" and kept the beds moist, I may currently have had a large army working. I do have a small army of large wigglers, and lots of young ones are beginning to get busy.

Good luck to you and keep on posting about your progress.

Pete

• bltlover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pete, yeah I thought it was very interesting as well. Above I wrote Bryan Paley, but I think it may be D. Bryan Paley? Regardless, when I read that back in Feb it seemed like a great thing to try, and easy enough. Just seeing the old web page style brings back memories. I referred to it as paley method because that is how someone referred to it on my original thread in Feb.

I turned over my bin#1 last night, parent bin of the test bucket#1. What a difference between a dirt bucket and a bin! My bins 1, 2, and 3 are the 18 gallon sterlites, and my large bin A is about a 45 gallon. Until last night they have all been relatively undisturbed. All have been fed approximately the same and were originally horse manure over some cardboard. I have added horse manure and chopped food scrap somewhat sparingly, for as many worms as I started with.

The bins got up to 80F a month back because I forgot to move them away from the oil burner and still had them elevated off the concrete. Moving them and putting them on the floor dropped temps to 72, but the tops of the bins have dried out some and I haven't seen the same number of large worms up top when I feed. My bins are open with cardboard laid over top the surface, and a small compact fluorescent bulb keeping them from committing suicide by curiosity...much. I haven't fed a lot for the last month because I planned to turn them and harvest some VC for the first time, and generally check them out.

So...

When I dumped the 18 gallon bin#1, it broke apart into a few large chunks. There were many worms deep so some relief that they were still fine, and the bottom was not as wet as I expected. Most of the bin was damp, but not wet. Very few of the worms were as large as the 30 seed worms that survived bucket#1. There are a lot of worms ranging from normal to hatchling. I couldn't hazard a guess on numbers, but there were plenty.

Strangely, I did not see a single egg. I didn't scour through it, but the eggs were all over the bucket; I just had to look small to see them. The eggs were conspicuously absent in the bin. There were worms that could not have been more than a few days old, judging by size, so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but there it is.

My guess is the bin was overcrowded and possibly a bit dry, and underfed as well. I was expecting to see at least some eggs, and I'm sure there were some, but what a huge difference in makeup between the two environs.

I split off the larger worms that were easier to sort and left the small worms in the same bin. I put the larger worms in a new bin with soaked 1" squares of cardboard bottom, then soaked horse manure, with some drier horse manure on top. I'm not really sure what to do with the remainder, to get them out of old stuff...I suppose I will figure it out next week and get a better idea what to do with the bins.

I want to use the vc on the garden but am a little bit unsure how to go about it as yet. Also, at this time the worms are taking up a lot of floor space. I'm considering investing in 10 gallon roughnecks instead.

• barbararose21101
    9 years ago

bump

• bltlover
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hey all. I am about ready to manufacture some more worms and I came on here because I wanted to make sure I did it the same way with the stress-bucket mix. Fifty percent dirt, fifty percent old dog food, keep it wet. Pretty simple. I hope this works as well as it did the first time back in spring 2014. I need a lot of extra worms and eggs to dump in my compost and raised beds outside. I may start 10 buckets or so.

I still have plenty of active bins in the basement, maybe 100 gallons or so of VC ready to harvest. I don't regret buying these worms at all. I think it was Fall 2014 when I built an A frame rack with 2 shelves from scrap 2x3 and OSB. I have four sterlites and four roughnecks on and under that so it doesn't take up a ton of space. I also have the 45 gallon tote on the side. I will be harvesting in the near future and probably refilling with leaf mulch/cardboard/horse manure again. I haven't harvested since summer when I was using VC for avct and in potting mix. They are very laid back, these worms. Nothing like my springer spaniels! They can't go an hour without looking for attention.

These worms live quite a long time. I still have some of those nice large euros from the two successful bucket tests, and I am going to use the same ones again. They were survivors. They almost dried up in the buckets after I forgot about them at some point. Eventually I put them in their own 10 gallon roughneck bin and I still have them. They are still the biggest worms.

One thing I have not managed to do is get all these other euros in horse manure/scraps/cardboard to grow to what I consider full size. I even bought "worm food" from a local purina mills feed store and tried a few things. They eat it some, but I've never seen a notable increase in size from it. At some point I need to split some off into peet moss or something and feed them only the worm chow. It just hasn't happened. My biggest problem is I tend to forget about them after a couple weeks of attention, and the bins dry out on top. I have been doing much better since I bought a 1-1/2 gallon pump sprayer. It takes about 10 minutes to drench them well with that, about 3/4 gallon per time.

Well.. I don't get back here too often. I learned a lot from this forum, but I really didn't like the gw forum style and I like this even less. Just now I lost and had to rewrite a paragraph above, and that always seems to happen here. I've never gotten email notifications to work here either, so returning is a matter of memory or whim. That said, in case I am not back for a while, good luck all with your worms!

• PRO
    Iowa Worm Composting
    8 years ago

Paley had some interesting ideas. Your post is very intriguing. I have never tried to duplicate his experiments but am really interested. The whole of the article by Paley seemed to leave more questions than answers to me. Very interesting concept though.

• bltlover
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hey, I got an email notification! Finally!

I have gone through all my worm bins now. I set up two buckets yesterday and plan to set up at least two more. I should have harvested them 6 months back. I have two large dog food bags of VC but not as many worms as I'd like to see. I had put most of two bins into my outdoor compost piles so that accounts for some of it, but I think those two I were probably the most populated so my initial estimate was high. The active areas were small and centered around pumpkin and squash scrap I put in this winter. They are all reset now with horse manure, shredded leaves, and cardboard.

I have 4 rubbermaid roughneck 10 gallon totes but I've never been able to utilize them well with horse manure. They dry out much faster than the deeper sterlites. I wonder what my thoughts on worms would be had I built an FT system when I first started? Basically everytime I have put a lid on these basement plastic bins, it gets too humid and the worms bug out, so I still just use cardboard overtop with a low wattage CFL on at all times.

• PRO
    Iowa Worm Composting
    8 years ago

I never put lids on my plastic bins. I just cover with about a 4 sheet thickness of wet newspaper. My worms never try to get out. I use a Ziploc 6.6 gallon tote and mortar trays from HD. Very good success with both. You can check out my site http:// www.Iowawormcomposting.com and there is some good info on building the Ziploc bins. There is a cover with the Ziploc bins but the entire center is cut out. Helps if you have some blues that like to wander. Newbies don't like that in their house. Don't blame them much.

• PRO
    Iowa Worm Composting
    8 years ago

BLT...If you want some big Euros just give them more space. No more than 100/sqft. Peat moss works good for bedding and you could mix horse manure in also. You really need to lime the peat moss to get the pH up. Euros don't tolerate acidic conditions as well as reds. You can feed them worm chow but they want some green stuff too in order to stay happy. You will have big worms in no time. Be sure to move your big ones every 30 days or so OR separate the cocoons out. If you let them over-populate they will shrink back up. Think Paley. This is how the bait guys raise big worms. Of course they fatten them up and sell them so problem solved.

• bltlover
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I will have to focus on it more this year. I get what you are saying about moving them, and I have never tried that. I was actually thinking about buying a cup of nice big ones at a bait shop to start a bucket with to make sure they are euros. I have had some worms come in with the horse manure.

• T Richards
    8 years ago

dumb question! -- do big worms make castings quicker, etc? (I guess I'm trying to ascertain the scientific value of fattening up my worms)

• PRO
    Iowa Worm Composting
    8 years ago

Not really. Some people like to go fishing or sell a little bait. Other than that...doesn't matter for the most part. We were talking about Euros which are a great bait worm. For reds doesn't matter.

• PRO
    Iowa Worm Composting
    8 years ago

I should have said... if you are just composting with your worms, size doesn't matter much. Some people DO sell reds for bait also.

• T Richards
    8 years ago

cool thanks :)

• bltlover
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I came back looking for that advice from iowa about bigger worms. I need to try some of that. I appreciated it when I read back then, but not sure if I got to write a thanks. So, thanks for that. I didn't get out fishing much until the last month. The bins I filled in Feb need to be harvested soon to side dress my garden crops. Half a bin done so far, a bunch to go. I may try the burlap ideas. Between the indoor bins, an outside plastic tote, and two big compost piles, I have plenty of worms to fish with and make dirt. But I STILL haven't concentrated on increasing individual size and skin toughness.

The buckets I started this year to "multiply" the best of the herd failed spectacularly. The buckets developed white hairy mold in no time flat. I lost all the experimental subjects, as I recall, even the nice big ones that were a couple years old.

Could have been a lot of things and probably was a bit of everything. It was awhile back now, but the possible reasons I recall were my garden dirt being too dry before starting, the old dog food was two years older, and the holes I put in the buckets were ice picked from the bottom up, instead of top down. The first time, a couple years back, I used mostly vegetable scrap as food, and the dirt was relatively freshly dug. This time it was all old dog food, and I remember the dirt I dug sat for quite a while before I made up the buckets.

• bltlover
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey Iowa is that site still up? I get a 404.