Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesellers

New Worm food

lesellers
13 years ago

I regularly stop by Starbucks (can't drink coffee myself) and pick up from 0 to 80 pounds of grounds. I have nearly a ton of them in various containers around the yard. We'll be starting our worm beds in the near future, and are wondering if (or which) worms will eat grounds with nothing else or if I'll have to mix it with, what?

We do not have any worms as yet, so the types is wholly open.

In addition, do BSFs like Double Latte with seven pumps?

All the best,

Le Sellers

Comments (11)

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    13 years ago

For Best Results
    drink three coffee
    and read real fast.

I was wondering why the BSFL web sites were not boiling with posts. It is July 26 and they should be active.

I'm jealous. My local Starbucks had no idea what I was talking about. Maybe ordering a coffee (I don't drink it either.) would of helped.

80 pounds. A ton. You are coffee ground rich!

You might want to skip worms and think mushrooms. Or at least mushrooms first and then worms.

Not drinking coffee, my worms rarely get coffee grounds. I have no expertise in coffee ground vermicomposting. I do wonder since coffee grounds and vermicastings look a bit alike how coffee grounds can be put in a bin and vermicastings taken out how the two can be told apart. "Look Ma. I poured in brown bits and I got... brown bits." Others may have different opinions and know beter about this than I. That is OK with me.

If I had a ton of coffee grounds
    I would dry them and then on my lawn
    I'd sprinkle grounds in the morning
    I'd sprinkle grounds in the evening
    All over this land
    I'd sprinkle grounds on the garden
    I'd sprinkle grounds on the dog
    I'd sprinkle grounds over my fence and sprinkle some on their dog, too.
    All over this land
    I would sprinkle them dried grounds.

With BSFL it may be hard to tell the difference between BSFL output and coffee grounds.

I think the BSFL will love the coffee grounds. Think of other items you can also feed them.

You might want to prepare the coffee grounds with the BSFL for the worms.

Go Team!

Here is a link that might be useful: Think

• alabamanicole
    13 years ago

EE -- It is Starbucks corporate policy to give away coffee grounds. Just say it's for your garden. Some store are more enthusiastic about it than others, but most employees are perfectly willing to hand you the trash bag from under the barrista station -- it saves them from hauling it out back.

Le Sellers -- I agree with EE about the overuse of coffee grounds. I get them from Starbucks, but not much goes to the worms. They go out in the garden instead. Everyone says "earthworms love coffee grounds" but I've they to see them swarm over coffee grounds like they will rotted spinach.

• lesellers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the information.

I've read what "everyone says 'earthworms love coffee grounds'", too, so that's why I have, every time I see a Starbucks, I stop in and grab whatever they have on hand. (And why I have so much: I get, two or three times a week, one, two or three very large bags full.)

It is Starbucks' policy. I have run across a couple of stores that don't understand, and where the people just toss them, but the SBUX stand is "why pay for garbage collection when people will take them from us for free?" (It's a "win-win", little as I like that phrase.)

I have come out of a store carrying at least 80 pounds in three bags because my "competition" skipped his rounds that morning. And that's from just one store. I have six or seven stores I get to on a regular basis. It works.

Le

• bluelake
    13 years ago

My Starbuck people once told me that some of the people that get their coffee grounds, come back later and give them vegetables from their garden that the coffee grounds were used in. That's a win-win situation also.

• sbryce_gw
    13 years ago

I have not had great success with coffee grounds. I have stopped picking them up.

• lesellers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The fungus website is more complex than I can follow in the time I have available. Can you take a minute and summarize the goal and process?

It seems I may not have the resource I thought I did, but it is still a resource. I just have to know how to use it well.

All the best,
    Le

• lesellers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I tried to edit the earlier message, but it didn't take.

Please do not think I'm trying to get someone else to do my work for me. I hate when others do it to me. But, as I said, it isn't always clear, and if you're already familiar with the process, it would save a lot of time. I'm calling them in the next few minutes, after they open (they're on the west coast).

It would also be useful if anyone has experience with coffee grounds and Black Soldier Flies. It's another species I want to get on better terms with.

All the best,
    Le Sellers
    Please search for me on the web.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    13 years ago

My "Think" link was supposed to be "Think Espresso Oyster"

click Mushroom Kits
    click Indoor Mushroom Patches

"Recycle old newspapers, coffee and espresso grounds by inoculating them with Oyster Mushrooms (Pleurotus ostreatus). One of our favorite methods is the simplest: just mix the sawdust spawn directly into coffee grounds, espresso or perked."

It is my understanding that the spent mushroom growing medium will be of particular interest to worms.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    13 years ago

14 million and I found the right Le in .26 seconds.

Are you writting a book on worms?

• lesellers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No worm book, at least not yet. I only write about things I understand. ;)

Thanks for the Oyster Mushroom location. I did call them and two of their reps were most helpful. It seems that "old" coffee grounds are infested with bad kinds of fungi and a whole lot more. I may be relegated to strawing them on the lawn or in the garden.

I might try the BSF route, though, first.

All the best,
    Le Sellers

• pjames
    13 years ago

Les: I get all the coffee grounds I can from Starbucks. Today I dropped one bag into my Dad's bin. It is teeming with BSF. I use UCG like all over. My worms get a cup or 2 whenever I add bedding. I sprinkle it liberally onto my vegetable garden soil (not enough to cake up) and around my blueberries and blackberries. I can't get enough of the stuff.

You can mix cardboard and coffee grounds as a decent media for composting worms..matter of fact I produce very little kitchen scraps so that is the biggest portion of my worm food.

But don't keep the stuff in containers... put it around the yard and garden where it will do some good!!!