Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
element321

Newbie Questions

element321
14 years ago

Hi,

I have been researching everywhere including this forum, but I can not find any answers.

I received a Worm Factory and 1lb of worms last May. I store the factory in my screened in porch since I do not have the room to store the factory in my house. Everything was going fine until we hit 100+ temps. My porch is normally about 10 degrees cooler, but I think the bin is heating up to much. I loaded up my bin with food last week and went on vacation for a week, I came back and now I have what looks to be an infestation of Black Soldier Fly Larvae. I have read that this is okay for the worms, so I am not to worried about getting rid of them and I know they are great at composting. But, I did just find another article on them stating that they can heat up the compost.

So my questions are: Should I try and remove the larvae, if so how, I have heard it is hard to get rid of them. Will they heat up the worm bin enough to cause problems. Any suggestions on how to cool the worms off w/o bringing them inside.

Thanks for the help

Comments (2)