Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fungi in my bins

Posted by zaleon Gauteng ZA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 08 at 5:25

Some 4 weeks ago, I used leftover apple pulp (which comes from making cider) as a feedlot. Judging from what was happening in the bin (a can-of-worms setup), I was convinced the worms was in heaven. Many of them came up from the bin underneath, to join in what seemed like a feeding frenzy. This morning when I checked the bin for the food and moisture situation, I noticed something rather worrying. Fungi was growing all over the surface of the food, because all conditions to make them proliferate exists in the worm bin. I thought about this for a little while, then decided to remove whatever I can see. I had a couple of very unhappy worms on my hands, and am very sure they are busy writing a petition to have their apple pulp back. I reasoned though, that not knowing what harm fungi can do to the worms, I have to remove them by hand since, as I said, the conditions in which fungi thrive are the ideal conditions worms need. I know that there is millions of spores still left in the bin. My question is this, is fungi harmful to worms? If that is the case, how do one remove them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fungi in my bins

fungi/molds are the same as bacteria to a worm, any decomposer microbe is what they eat - in a cold composting situation [what vermicomposting is] there's likely to be molds - not a problem

you're best off to not use that pomace in a mass to avoid anaerobic conditions, fermentation, and fruit flies - not to mention compost gnats .... mix it well with other material or into the bedding, and don't use too much at once or it will cause heating

I can definitely tell you all about apple pulp :)

Bill

o
RE: Fungi in my bins

I visited your page. You are right, I can learn a lot from you about all things apple!! In South Africa, what we refer to as cider, is your hard cider. That is what I'm making. Anyway, I feel terrible now, since I've removed food from their table. I'm mixing the rest with kitchen waste and spent brewing grains, and will feed it to them after about 5-6 weeks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here