Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cocoon Tea Question

Posted by shaul Israel (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 5:54

Let's say I take a quantity of fresh castings (supposedly containing cocoons) and add it to a pail of water with Molasses and bubble it for 24 hrs. to make AVCT. Afterwards, I'll strain out the liquid 'cause I want to use it in a sprayer. If I return the castings (with cocoons) to the wormbin, will the cocoons still be viable and continue to grow ?
I know that cocoons are pretty hardy. They can withstand temp extremes (that would kill off adult worms) and still hatch.
Just wondering if it also works for AVCT.

Shaul

This post was edited by shaul on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 10:23

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cocoon Tea Question

Hi Shaul and happy Independence day to you!

I have been brewing continuously for about a month now. Most of the strainings have been put back into the bin, to the squirms delight. It is amazing how quickly they gather underneath.

I have found many worms still wiggling after 30 hours in my AVCT bucket. I would think cocoons would hatch soon after being returned to the bin.

Time for a worm cocoon experiment? It will have to be someone else because I have never seen a cocoon with my poor vision.

Good luck! Pete

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here