Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worm Farm Tea Wattery?

Posted by dicardo83 WA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 10:07

Hi All,

My worm farm has always utilised 1 tray which is situated above the castings/liquid tea tray. I’ve recently noticed that my worm farm hasn’t been outputting a dark or thick worm tea for the last few weeks. Is this because it’s now winter and they aren’t eating as much or is there something wrong? The only difference may have been the lack of water being poured into it due to studying for exams...

I cleaned out the castings tray and a few spiders but it’s still virtually water coming out of the worm farm tap. I also have a spare tray available, should I install this as tray 3 and start putting food into it to increase production after tray 2 has been completely eaten?

Please view the attached image and offer any advice possible and I would be highly appreciative!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worm Farm Tea Wattery?

Leachate(drainage) from a worm bin is not worm tea. This is worm tea.

o

Nice clear labeling of pictures.

o

Wow, that's pretty good! I wonder why my farm has reached a stand still. Do you think the worms are mostly dead? Or maybe a union has put them on strike? :)

o

I propose for your consideration the liquid tea tray is collecting not vermicompost tea as vermiman showed a delicious picture of but is in actuality collecting leachate, rotting kitchen scrap juices, which is the drainage from the bin. Typically this substance is sour. What you describe sounds like the bin is actually moving into a more balanced state as the leachate becomes less sour. What you are doing is working better for the system. It is surprising that you are interpreting the system as moving recently too a less good state. Some feel the idea of the drain on the bottom of a vermicompost bin is a mark of not doing it right. Zero leachate is the goal of many. One poster has a style of vermicomposting where it is the goal as it is his method of harvesting. But that is not the case in most vermicomposting bins. At the very least an absorbent material should be incorporated as you add food scraps.

If you enjoyed "worm tea" before wait until you try real "worm tea" brewed with worm castings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here