Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do one use vermicompost?

Posted by zaleon Gauteng ZA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 08 at 10:14

I've had my bins now for some time, and some vermicompost are ready for harvesting. How do one use vermicompost in the garden for (1) existing plants, (2) seedlings (3) to make tea? What are the methods and procedures involved? Is there anything else one can vermicompost for?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do one use vermicompost?

1] Lightly mix it in the soil near the plants, being sure not to disturb the roots.

2] I start my seeds in pure vermicompost. Usually cutting the germination time in half.

3]

parts:

Five Gallon
A two hose fish aquarium air pump
Two hoses
Two air stones
Dechlorinator if using tap water
Molasses for feeding microbes
Four and a half gallons of water
Half gallon of castings

Dechlorinate the water or let stand for a couple of days. Or you may use rain water.

Pour castings in water
add about two ounces of molasses
stir ingredients
put the air stones in and wait 24 hours

Filter it through a cheese cloth and spray it on your plants leaves. You can also use it as a soil drench.

o

Thank you very much. I'm going to try the tea next week.

o

You can also simply mix it with water and apply to the soil. This is my favorite method because it is so easy and quick and the castings are already very loaded with beneficial organisms so I don't feel I need to enrich it further. It may depend on what shape your soil is in. My soil is already very healthy and I constantly mulch with compost, so the non-aerated tea is all I need.

o

Here's how I use my vermicompost:

1) After starting my seeds (tomatoes, veggies, etc) in a soil-less mix, I transplant them into a 50/50 mix of potting soil and worm compost. They seem to just love that mix and it knocks about 2 weeks off of the indoor growing time.

2) When planting my seedlings in the garden, I toss about a half scoop of compost in the hole under the plant and mix it with the other organic fertilizers I apply and the regular garden soil. I figure all the microbial life in the compost will help break down the organic fertilizers faster.

3) I make compost tea every few weeks with a half scoop of compost in each 5 gallon bucket of water. To this I add bone meal, blood meal, and some organic potassium. I don't have an aerator, but I do stir the mixture several times each day to keep it aerated. After a few days I apply a few cups to each plant. Again, I'm trying to encourage the bacteria in the compost to start breaking down the fertilizer before I give it to the plant.

Mike

o

I often just sprinkle castings around the garden and in the container plants.

I've also started seeds in trays of worm castings though they do hold water really well and might stay too wet for some types of seeds.

I did once may aerated worm compost tea when a bucket of worm castings were left where ants got into them and handling them meant too many ant bites.

Simply putting a hand full of worm castings into the planting holes when transplanting is a great way to use them.

Here is a link that might be useful: TCLynx

o

Thank you for the answers. Down here, we are in the last month of winter, and with spring about to happen, the vermicompost will be like gold!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here