Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wormy Acronyms

Posted by tammy_b 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 26, 10 at 10:15

Hello All!

I have some homework for the experts here. . .

Being new to vermicomposting, and reading everything I possibly can about the art, I have come across MANY acronyms that are foreign to me. Has anyone ever tried to compile a list for the newbie?

If so, please direct me to a link. If not, maybe some of you can pitch in and help out!

Thanks to all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wormy Acronyms

Hi Tammy,

List what you aren't sure about.

AVCT = Aerated Vermi Compost Tea.

o

Others use
RM = Rubbermade as in the bin
CG = Coffee Ground
___ = Egg Shell
FT = Flow Through

I use
BSF = Black Soilder Fly
BSFL = Black Soilder Fly Larve

Then there are the ... LT, which are abreviations for the Latin names for worms. We use Latin to know we are all talking about the same thing. Lest someone go inventing a new, super cool worm on us.

o

UCG = Used Coffee Grounds
COW = Can O' Worms (a commercial worm farm)

o

Thanks for the help!

I think I'll start a notebook, and maybe post a list in the future for other newcomers.

o

What is BSFL?

o

Black Soldier Fly Larva.

o

BSFL = Maggots from Heaven that will clean all that is dirty and putrid and make it good and valuable.

In the sunshine tiny winged angels lay thousands of little eggs like answers to prayers to make this happen.

When the maggots job is done they sequester for a number of days, shed their old robes and are reborn.

Their old robes are left as the only tangable proof they ever were.

o

WF = Worm Factory (several brands, mines a Reln Worm Factory, 4 trays plastic). Like a COW only rectangular.

o

We also abbreviate our worm species names, red wigglers are usually Eisenia foetida, or EF's, though often they are also E. fetida andrei, sometimes called Andrei's, though I have only heard them called that once.

Then there are the Eisenia hortensis, or European Night crawlers, often called Euros, or Europeans, or EH's.

Any others?

o

PE, Perionyx excavatus, also known as the Indian Blue worm.

Don't we sometimes call European Night Crawlers ENCs?

I'm surprised that we missed VC: Vermicompost.

o

Is there a separate site about these "maggots from heaven"? I'm intrigued, but nobody tell my husband! He's just getting used to the worms!

o

tammy_b asked
"Is there a separate site about these "maggots from heaven"?"

The Black Soldier Fly Blog is a good place to start

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Soldier Fly Blog

o

sbryce, ENC, Of course, I should have remembered that one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here