Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
11otis

Durian?

11otis
14 years ago

Has anyone fed durian husk to the worms? Did they like/not like it?

How about Guava and cherries?

Comments (10)

• socks
    14 years ago

I don't know what durina husk is.

What would be the problem with guava and cherries? I think they would be fine.

• 11otis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would have called it durian "pod" but the wikipedia called it "husk"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

I have picked up a box full of over-ripe guava and rotten cherries. I have pitted the cherries and they are all ziplocked in the freezer. Guava doesn't seem to have fibres in them (very soft and mushy) other than the semi hard skin. I wonder if it would be possible to drain the liquid once I defrost the guava before feeding to the worms or would everything except the skin just go throught the strainer? I have to freeze them because of fruitfly-eggs.

No problems with cherries, just wanting to know people's comment. I know that strawberries is a favourite and they go pretty fast.

Durian is a smelly fruit. The pulp/fleshy part that you eat is rich in protein. I have composted the husk (backyard compost-pile) before I have my wormbin. I didn't cut them up and it took a while until they are all gone. Since I didn't check the CP on a daily basis, don't know if the smell lingered. Wonder how bothersome that would be indoors or there is just NO smell, covered with lots of shredded newspaper/cardboard.

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

I don't know what durian is, but I'll give my $0.01 worth.

On the guava, you may want to drain the liquid, otherwise it will probably drain out of the bottom of the bin. Strain it or don't. It won't make a lot of difference.

The cherries will do fine.

I would try a small amount of durian in one corner of the bin and see how the worms respond to it. From the Wikipedia article, it looks like the husks are pretty tough. I would not expect them to break down quickly. Anything that has a strong odor will still have a strong odor in the bin unless it is buried deeply. Onions, cabbage, broccoli, etc can make the bin smell for a couple of days. I would expect the same thing from the durian, except that I would expect the smell from the durian to last longer.

• dak56
    14 years ago

I've never tried durian either, though I've read that it's illegal to carry it on public transportation in parts of Asia, due to it's sewage type smell. If it's a husk like a coconut, I'd say no, it would take too long, husk like corn husks & cobs, then yes. I imagine if you set up a Bokashi bin, you could eliminate the smell.

• susanfromhawaii
    14 years ago

I think the worms would LOVE durian. (Lions will protect a durian tree and keep all the fruit for themselves.) I think the pod would be okay, but take a lot longer to completely decompose. Avocado skin eventually breaks down, and my memory says duran skin isn't as tough as that (though a LOT thicker.) Unless it's a really big bin, I think that a whole pod would overwhelm the bin. (I must admit that I didn't get close enough to the durian to handle it.) Enough moist shredded newspaper will contain the smell, but it would have to be fairly thick. The worms keep food from rotting so that smell shouldn't be there even without a top layer, but even with a top layer I can often smell the coffee grounds for a day or two. I wouldn't want to put durian in an indoor bin.

As to the guava, when you defrost it, I'm betting the pulp will sink to the bottom and there will be liquid on the top you could pour off. I think a sieve would loose the best part of the guava. The skins are fine. They're really thin and you could just put the whole guava in.

So where are you from that you have lots of durian and guava to give to your (clearly pampered) worms?

• 11otis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Susan,
    I live in Vanocuver, BC, Canada and got the goodies from China-Town. The grocer didn't give me that box of goodies until I bought something, the durian. The pulp is for us, the worms get only the pod, lol. I know durian is not for everybody but we love it. Just have to watch the cholesterol.
    Yeah, I better not put that in the indoors bin. Thanks for the tip re. guava.

• rom.calgary.ab
    14 years ago

I'd take a kitchen knife and dice up the durian husk before putting it in the bin. It still might take a while but I do that with banana peels, corn cobs, etc.

Anything that would take a longer time to decompose benefits from dicing up ... gives the material more surface area for bacteria and micro-organisms to make a home. That's what the worms eat after all, not the durian husk.

• 11otis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are right Rom and I have sliced and diced the husk and it is ziplocked in the freezer right now. It will be a good thing if the bacteria like it because the husk doesn't contain much moisture compared to veggie and fruit.
    I'm afraid my bin is on the too wet side at the moment, and I have added more shredded newspaper & cardboard. I have also sprinkled pulverized eggshell over the food for good measure.

PS.
    I have battled the durian husk with my clever.

• rom.calgary.ab
    14 years ago

Some people have some success putting scraps in a blender too. Personally, I think it adds more water than I'd like when you do that. I find my bin get's wet all by itself. I put in a lot of fruit scraps.

PS Nice to hear from someone in BC. I am in Calgary but I grew up in BC (Penticton). We had fruit trees in our backyard when we lived there and always had more than we could eat. Wish I had access to all that uneaten fruit now.

• 11otis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Rom
    "Wish I had access to all that uneaten fruit now." There is a reason to move back, lol.

The durian husk is too tough for a blender. BTW, I don't put stuff through the blender any more. Too much work and too messy. I just cut them up in smaller pieces to save room in the freezer, drain the fluid when defrosted. I have used this liquid (diluted 1:5) to water my Bird of Paradise and they are getting new leaves one after another. Don't know if it is just the time or because of the WF liquid.
    Some people have killed their plants when using this liquid so, be careful when using it for the first time. It contained some kind of toxin (I don't remember what) but probably it depends what the WFood consist of.