Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

Another bedding question

socks
14 years ago

Is it possible to use packaged potting soil or packaged compost for worm bedding? It would have to be quite plain without added fertilizer (like Miracle Grow). Why do I never see that mentioned as appropriate bedding?

I like peat the best because it is light but I understand it is a nonrenewable resource, so I try not to use it.

Comments (9)

• mma_fanatic976
    14 years ago

you dont want any addatives like M.G. it could kill ur worms.

• socks
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I said that.

• mamaswormcomposting
    14 years ago

Actually, Canadian peat moss is farmed and thus renewable. I use it frequently as a coating on the top of my bins to help keep flies out (I have open systems). The only thing you want to watch out for is that peat moss is acidic, so you want to keep an eye on the ph levels of your bin. Worms like a ph between 6 and 7, and peat moss registers for me around 4.5-5. Just make sure there is a variety of materials in your bin and you can always add lime if it becomes too acidic.

• socks
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK Mama, I like that answer! Not doubting your for a minute, but I wonder how they farm peat moss. I thought it took a long time for Mother Nature to do it. Oh well, I'll definitely pick some up.

I've never tested pH and would not have an idea in the world how to do it. What happens if the bin gets too acidic? Worms die? I've never had that happen, but maybe I'm just lucky.

Thanks for your helpful reply.

• wormy_acres
    14 years ago

As I understand it, Canadian peat moss is not "farmed" but is rather harvested with a quota system that ensures they're not using more than nature can replenish at the same rate. I agree with you, socks12345, it takes a *long* time for significant thicknesses of peat moss to form. Accoring to the link below, it forms at a rate of 1-2 mm per year, or an inch every 10-15 years or so. At that rate, I'm sure you're looking at hundreds of years between viable harvests at any given location.

What makes it sustainable is that there is simply an incredibly large area where peat forms. They can rotate harvesting areas such that they won't re-visit the same bog for hundreds or thousands of years. Apparently, there is no net loss of peat -- the supply is not being used up over time.

I do not hesitate to use peat moss. I'd consider it to be in the same category as sustainably-harvested timber.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.arkent.com/products/sustainable.html

• Jasdip
    14 years ago

With bins that are acidic mites and little potworms flock to it. These conditions are ideal for them.

Be verrrry careful using lime in your bin. A very very light sprinkling of it (I use a little salt shaker) is all that's needed to adjust the ph level. Worms won't survive if the ph is changed quickly and drastically. Egg shells are most people's preference for this reason.

• 11otis
    14 years ago

Has anyone used crushed Calcium tablets? OK or not OK?
    I have some leftover liquid Calcium when a friend with a kid was visiting. I could use that too but I'm afraid I might upset the worms.

• beth_monsterworms
    14 years ago

We prefer to help the environment, not harm it. We will not use peat moss as a bedding for our worms. All of our bedding materials are from newspaper or cardboard from businesses that were either going to recycle or throw it away. The more that people buy peat moss, the more it will be harvested. The above link from wormy_acres is a website that the Canadian Spagnum Peat Moss Association put out. Of course they are going to say it is ok to harvest peat moss. Why use this material when there are more environmentally friendly choices out there. Many business love to give away their newspaper and cardboard.

• mndtrp
    14 years ago

I've put calcium chews in my bin, and it didn't seem to do anything negative. I wouldn't say it did anything positive either, though.