Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cereal boxes and the like for my worm bin ?

Posted by MaryAnn1950 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 11:41

I know that cardboard is good for the worms and that glossy newsprint isn't . What about cereal boxes and other food storage boxes? They seem glossy to me . Can they be used. I have a lot ! Thanks MA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cereal boxes and the like for my worm bin ?

Treat cereal boxes the same way you would glossy paper. We try not to use it for the same reasons.

o

My worms eat cereal boxes just as quickly as cardboard. I also feed them all the glossy paper that comes into the house, and over the years, I've not seen any problems. I believe most glossy paper just has a coating of clay on the surface.
Renais

o

No, glossy paper is an inferior source of worm satisfaction compared to all the other organic things you can use.

Just because they will eventually accept it doesn't make it a good thing to put in there.

Anything you use that slows the process likewise slows your success. The worms will grudgingly and half-heartedly accept certain stuff instead of excitedly attacking things you give them that make them love you.

Carlos Danger

o

A coating of clay on the paper, and often a coating of varnish over the ink. The paperboard itself is fine.

o

Whenever I get bored, I peel the printed layer before shredding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here