Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soggy casting

Posted by langeranger none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 11:57

I'm new at this. I have a three-tier "Worm Factory" setup. Despite adding food only when I see little or none remaining, I continue to get castings that resemble wet mud. I've been using mainly shredded newsprint for bedding. Eager to hear what I might do to remedy my muddy situation.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soggy casting

Leave out paper and add LOTS of shredded thick cardboard. More air and less clumping with cardboard. More absorbent and worms love it.Add more with each feeding

o

I'll ditto that. While I still use some paper in my feedings, I also use lots cardboard to help air things out.

The wet is also just one of those things with plastic systems, they hold water so well. So if your feedings are with items that contain a lot of water, you'll basically be adding that to the system. So the higher water content of your food wastes, the more bedding you'll want to use to soak it up. And as always....

You can never have too much bedding ;)

o

Hey you two, thanks for the tips. Fortunately, I have some corrugated boxes on hand. So the wigglers are gonna be feasting on cardboard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here