Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sawdust

Posted by Elbourne 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 12:06

Is sawdust from standard construction lumber OK to put in your worm bin?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sawdust

Yes, just make sure there is none included from pre-treated wood. I'm not sure about ply-wood dust. That I didn't put in the bin. Also I sort of remember somebody saying that saw dust will heat up the bin pretty fast, so don't add to much at a time and monitor the bin.
I find that saw dust gives a nice crumbly VC.

Check this out: http://www.latimes.com/features/home/la-lh-worm-farmer-recycling-sawdust-20130628,0,346138.story

Here is a link that might be useful: saw dust

This post was edited by otis11 on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 17:19

o

I gotta disagree with the decision to add sawdust to worm bins. There are a LOT of other materials that are WAY more conducive to favorable bin conditions than sawdust.

Because it's so uniform in size, when it gets wet it becomes a big clump of misery. It's also termite bait, and I refuse to put my worms in the same category as termites.

Worms don't eat houses....termites do.

Chuckiebtoo

o

I like a little sawdust in my bin, but I keep it at about 25%, because it seems like the worms prefer lower numbers. I have tried it at higher percentages, but they didn't move in until the sawdust was beginning to rot a bit.

I also very much like using stove pellets in my bin if/when it gets too wet. A handful of pellets is uber dry and will soak up the liquid very fast and much better than paper.

o

That was how I first used saw dust pellets, to absorb leachete in the harvesting chamber of my FT. Petsmart use sawdust pellets as bedding in their small animal cages and every now and then I p/u a bag of their used bedding. Free and I suspect loads of MO.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here