Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
antoniab_gw

After a month

antoniab
13 years ago

Well, I left my wormies for a month, and they survived.

Actually, they thrived!

If you remember, a couple of days before I left, my flow thru collapsed, so I bought some huge totes, drilled holes in them and put them inside slightly bigger totes, rolled up LOTS of corrugated cardboard strips for the wormies to play, eat, and mate in, and put in the worms the robins hadn't eaten. The two really big totes were completely full to the top, two rubbermaid totes were mostly full, and one smaller tote had VC maturing in it in case some cocoons hatched.

The totes with worms I loaded with cardboard, newspaper and long-wearing veg like corn and carrots and kohlrabi. In the VC tote I put some damp cardboard, just in case.

When I got home all the totes looked amazingly different. The huge totes were half empty (or half full...) and the smaller totes were also strikingly less full. The top layer of each tote was solidly just castings, not VC, but simply worm poop. There was no sign of a veg, except the corn cobs were on top of the each bin like someone had reached in and lifted them out, cleaned them out thoroughly, and laid them on top. Worms were EVERYWHERE. It seems they had gotten used to having full run of the the bin with the lid on and I got the distinct impression they were just impatiently waiting for me to have my look around and go away again, not bothering to hide from the light.

I quickly harvested the top layer of casting for my neglected garden, and left them alone.

I feel rather useless.

I thought they would miss me.

sigh.

Comment (1)