Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kiki

Are these red wigglers?

organic-kiki
17 years ago

After harvesting the worm doo a while back I posted that I seemed to have very few worms left. The bin is now filled with leaves and soil and newspaper instead of coir. I see babies so the life cycle must be carrying on. They are small worms and red, but the ends are brown looking not red. I can't find pics that show up good enough for me to see. Are these indeed red wigglers do you think? I guess I wondered if there could have been more than just red wigglers in the pound that I bought. Might explain the population decrease. I wouldn't have known if they were the right worm or not.

Kiki

Comments (10)

• squeeze
    17 years ago

there's a fair variation in coloration of "red worms", from light to dark, and red stripes - if you've got young'uns happening they'll be different in appearance than the adults

Bill

• piedmont
    17 years ago

Sorry for getting on so late.

When you buy worms I think most people get a mix which is a good thing. I'm pretty sure I got 3 varieties. Mostly Eisena Fetida, known as the "Red Wigglers" and the closely related and same properties Eisenia Andrei known as the "Red Tiger", and Lumbricus rubellus "Red Worm". I'm not sure why Red Wiggler is "King" of the compost when the "Red Tiger" worm has the same properties and eating habits BUT has the benefit of exuding coelomic fluid which attracts fish, it's striped and prettier.

Having a variety of worms in a bin is a good thing. Having a bin all full of only Eisena won't net you as much diversity nor as much vermicompost as a bin with Eisena and Lumbricus. Eisena is a warmer worm and can survive higher temps than Lumbricus and eats at the surface. Lumbricus can live in lower temps than Eisena, eats half as much, but it eats in the lower portions of your bin. A bin with both worms in it, will have the surface and lower portions being turned into vermicompost whereas a bin with only Eisena only has the surface being converted.

By the way, the "Tan tails" you're referring to I think is adolescent worms becoming adults. They seem to turn into adults starting from the head and work their way down. So, you get some funny looking worms with adult heads and disproportionaly small tail. I think that's what happens, I have the same.

• piedmont
    17 years ago

Here's a picture of a "Red Tiger" Eisenia andrei compared to the "Red Wiggler" Eisenia fetida
    http://image04.webshots.com/4/1/51/54/99515154QFeUxz_ph.jpg
    As you can see there's no screwing up the "Red Tiger". If you get Eisenia andrei instead, I'd be happier. They eat just as fast and furious as Eisenia fetida but have to be the prettiest worms! They're also better for fishing.

Eisenia fetida have stripes that seem to appear only as it stretches out and the redish color. That picture again, great shot because it shows what I'm talking about. Look where the Eisenia fetida is stretched out you can see faint stripes between the sections. Once again to show you how pretty the "Red Tigers" are look at this shot! http://image03.webshots.com/3/0/65/66/96706566TFEJHX_ph.jpg

Here's a few photo's of Lumbricus rubellus, they are more maroon/blue/purple colored, almost looking like regular earth worms but a bit more red and have an irridescent "sheen" shown in one of the photos. Eisenia's don't have that irridescent sheen. In my worm bins, when I go to feed them I never see any Eisenia's hanging out on the sides or on the lid they are nice and stay in the bedding but no, not the Lumbricus. When I open it there's always a couple to sometimes a half dozen of the Lumbricus on the sides or squirming on the lid. They're more susceptible to want to wander. Here's the pictures of the Lumbricus.
    http://www.ycy63.dial.pipex.com/amphsmollusc/pics/52Lumbricus%20rubellus%201.jpg
    http://www.ycy63.dial.pipex.com/amphsmollusc/pics/51Lumbricus%20rubellus%203.jpg

• jackman1944
    16 years ago

How many red wigglers do I need for a bin that is 4'by 2'?

• lkittle
    16 years ago

Hi All! Here a pic with the Eisenia fetida on top.
    Eisenia andrei on the bottem. Both worms Red composters. They are very difficult to tell apart. The only true way to tell is by digestive (calciferous) fluid analysis.

• tclynx
    16 years ago

I have a 2' by 4' bin but I only bought 2 lbs of worms. They recomended that I could divide the bin in half and only fill up a 2' by 2' space so the worms would be closer together and more likely to mate. I simply put a cardboard box in as a divider, sure the worms can get through it if they want but are unlikely to spend too much time over in the empty dry area of the bin. As the worms increase their numbers I can expand the filled area of the bin.

• klaus111
    15 years ago

Hallo,
    for copyright reasons it should be mentioned that the pictures above of Eisenia foetida and Eisenia andrei are from www.natuga.de on the page http://www.natuga.de/kompostwuermer.html

Here is a link that might be useful: natuga - Natur und Garten

• lkittle
    15 years ago

Hi and Thank you klaus 111 I tried to find that page again but it only came up in German and I can not read or speak German. I couldn't find the exact pic layout so I did'n recognize the site for sure. I had my computer auto translate and it was the same site. I don't know why it came up in english the first time I found it. But again thanks to you. I was just tring to help to show the worms togather. For educational purposes.

• klaus111
    15 years ago

Hi Ikittle,
    thank you for your reply. For educational purposes it is no problem to use the pictures when the source is mentioned.
    A part of the site is translated in english.

Here is a link that might be useful: natuga - Compost worm - FAQ in english

• tango_il
    15 years ago

Hi Klaus,

Very interesting! Thank you for the scientific information and translation.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations