Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rina123_gw

Did I ruin my harvested vermicompost?

Rina123
11 years ago

I harvested some beautiful, earthy smelling vermicompost for the first time. I didn't know better and put it all in a closed container. After two days, it smells like a dead fish. The worms have risen to the top and there were a bunch of eggs - I hope worm eggs. Is it ruined? It is quite wet, so I left it out to dry a bit. I'm afraid that it might get too dry like that. The weather here is quite dry.

My next plan is to store it in a plastic laundry hamper.

I could use help!

Thanks, Rina

Comments (7)

• PeterK2
    11 years ago

Best to store it in a container that breaths, it still has worms and microbs that need to breath. VC holds water very well so it can keep for months being still moist in a plastic bin with ventilation. I've had mine in my old RM worm bin for months and it just gets better (not quite fine wine, but hey).

And if you think it's a bit dry after some time, just sprinkle some water on it. Mine's just nice and damp, can feel it's moist, but doesn't stick to your hands. When it's this level of moisture, it's easy to break up any big chunks to get a nice granular mix. If it's too wet, it's just like a paste.

So yep, definately air it out and put it in some storage that has vents. That smell might be dead worms, it's hard to describe but dead fish is close enough. Hopefully with the air (if you can stand the smell) it will sort itself out.

• Rina123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Peter, thanks so much for responding. I think you might be right about dead worms. When I took it out of the compost bin, it was swarming with worms. Now, there are none to be found. I might add some from the compost bin.
    The smell is lessening.
    I hope I have not created an anaerobic environment and the compost is still as good as it was. Rina

• PeterK2
    11 years ago

No problem. BTW do you seperate your worms at all from your harvested VC? I do a rough 'light' method to get most of them out so I can put them back into the composter. I just use daylight. Skim VC off the top, leave it for 5 min, skim off the top, repeat. Once it's lots of worms I just put the rest back into the bin.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6h3N8OIQYM&list=UU70ZjlLnfvEhGf5KsFsmucA&index=6&feature=plcp

Just some other general notes, worms are pretty tough. So as long as they get air they will be happy. Being a bit on the drier side won't hurt them (the VC in the video looks pretty dry, but worms still living), while being soaking wet can kill them (not by being wet, but by stopping air flow). One of the reasons bedding is so important, helps control moisture, and helps with air flow.

Good luck and have fun :)

• Karchita
    11 years ago

I have always stored my vermicompost in sealed plastic containers, and never had any problems, but I have always separated out all or nearly all of the worms. I think the problem is dead worms.

• PeterK2
    11 years ago

Could also be the starting about of moisture when you store it (and how completely the VC has been processed). Her's was on the wet side. The thing with a breathable container, leftover worms or wetness levels doesn't matter so much anymore so makes storage easier. Just removes all the possible issues as worms survive and can continue any composting to a lesser extent. Free bonus as there's no need for a sealed container.

• Rina123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the support. At this point, the compost is no longer stinky, but swarming with ants. I think I'll just dump it back into the compost bin and start all over again. Does that sound like an idea?

• bluedood
    11 years ago

Lots of ants in compost is usually a sign that you are running your system too dry. In castings I would imagine that they were not fully processed originally and being in a sealed container made it go anaerobic which in turn killed off the remaining worms. Putting it all back into your compost bin is a great idea as it can help inoculate new material with microbes and move the composting process along.

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations