Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More Grubs than Worms

Posted by AustinBill none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 16:51

I've had my Worm Factory 360 for about 3 months and it seems like I've got more grubs (chubby little white guys just under an inch long) than worms.

Every time I go into my Worm Factory and check to see what's happened with yesterday's garden scraps, that's where I find an abundance of grubs.

Any way to get rid of the grubs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More Grubs than Worms

Sounds like BSFL.
Do they look like this?
Either take the BSFL out (feed them to chicken, fish, birds), or let them hatch; or take the worms out and move to another bin.

Here is a link that might be useful: BSFL

o

If they are BSFL there was a good discussion about possible ways to remove them from worm bins. See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous discussion on BSFL in worm bin

o

That was a good discussion on the presence of and how to reduce or get rid of BSFL in the worm bin, but ..... no one ever said if the presence of the BSFL was in any way harmful or detrimental to my worms.

o

Oops double post

This post was edited by boreal_wormer on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 20:33

o

AustinBill asked "..... no one ever said if the presence of the BSFL was in any way harmful or detrimental to my worms."

If your bin is large enough they could probably coexist. However BSFL process food rapidly releasing any water in that food in a rush. Purpose built BSFL bins have drainage systems but most worm bins do not so the excess liquid can create soupy conditions that the worms do not like. Also BSFL generate a lot of heat which can also create temperatures to high for the worms to tolerate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here