Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will alfalfa work as food?

Posted by tom123 z9 Fl. (tbyrnes@cfl.rr.com) on
Fri, Jul 4, 08 at 17:00

I'm a newbie here. I've got three twenty-gallon plastic buckets which I am using to grow red worms, mostly for bait. If I get enough someday I might sell some, but that won't be any time soon.

I have been using kitchen scraps as food and I find that they stink when I dig them up to get at the worms. I was wondering if I can use alfalfa as a food for the worms. It shouldn't smell as bad. I still plan to use kitchen scraps, but perhaps somewhat less than I am using now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will alfalfa work as food?

the stink is from improper management, a worm bin fed entirely with food waste should smell like good rich earth

the smell is from pockets of anaerobic activity, you have food waste rotting rather than decomposing - you may be adding too much at once, and the liquid [nearly all food waste is 85% water] is collecting in the bottom, driving out air ... the worms won't be hanging out in the area that smells offensive to you, they're picky too

as for the alfalfa, it's very high nitrogen, meaning when it gets wet, and mixed with the carbon material you have for bedding [you are using some non-food bulk material?], it's going to heat up with bacterial hot-composting .... and if it gets anaerobic, it'll smell just the same

I'd suggest figuring out why you're setup isn't working well .... it's not because of using food waste

Bill

o

Thanks, Bill, do you suggest that I throw out whatever seems to be smelling?

o

Part of the problem might be not enough surface area to help with oxygen. I've read that a larger, shallower bin does better. Since clearly you've got the buckets already, perhaps 'fluffing' them once or twice a week would overcome that. Also, shredded cardboard on the bottom and a drain hole on the bottom might be the ticket.

o

Thanks, Susan, I put cardboard on the bottom and fluffed up the rest. It doesn't smell too bad now and the worms seem to be doing well. I'm wondering about switching to a larger, shallower bin however--per your suggestion.

o

we use 2' by 4' bins that are pretty deep. They are made of wood and allow more air through the bin than plastic does. Mixing in cardboard is the best bet with the stuff you have now. And some drain holes would probably be a good idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: TCLynx

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here