Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bstruss_gw

Plywood durability for worm bin?

bstruss
13 years ago

Have any of you used plywood in the construction of worm bins or beds? I was wondering how much life you got out of it before it began to rot or separate. Also, did you paint it or seal the endgrain?

Here is a link that might be useful: Worm Composting Guide

Comments (18)

• sbryce_gw
    13 years ago

Several years ago I made a bin out of wafer board treated with linseed oil. It lasted about a year.

• curt_grow
    13 years ago

I think Mary Applehof had plans for a ply-worm bin in her book "Worms Eat My Garbage" check it out

Curt~

• bstruss
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I remember seeing that, and it isn't plans that need currently, but just experiences as to how long plywood will last in the wet composting environment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Worm Composting Guide

• alabamanicole
    13 years ago

Has anyone tried using composite lumber?

• randomz
    13 years ago

How about using marine ply?

• curt_grow
    13 years ago

Well I was really thinking of the material list for the type of ply she was using.It sounded like it was lasting well over a year.

Curt~

• helencolby
    13 years ago

I am into my 3rd year with plywood bins.. so far so good. I keep them elevated a few inches from the floor with bricks in each corner and one in the center..

• happyhoosierworms
    13 years ago

mine is made from reclaimed pine - no sealers or finishes or oils - and seems to be doing great. I have wondered if cedar would work well though. Not sure if the worms would respond badly to the scent but hoping that other bugs would.

• bstruss
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't think any aromatic woods to be the best choice for a worm bin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard Farming

• merrygardener
    13 years ago

I am on year 13 or so with my unpainted cedar bin. It is kept in the garage and has just a few "soft spots," likely from years of maintaining a too-damp bin. Thanks to you all, egg cartons, my husband's daily Starbucks coffee paper holder and other miscellaneous cardboard now join the coir and the environment is perfect! I expect the bin to go for at least 10 more years! And me too!

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    13 years ago

I'm pretty sure god invented plastic for a reason. It might of been for worm bins. On the other hand you certainly got your moneys worth and who can argue with 13 years of a bin with soft spots that are my fault because I am egg carton suggesterer. With 13 years you have Ace, King, Queen, Jack, Ten, ... Your worm bin is a Full House.

• mendopete
    13 years ago

I used old growth redwood re-recycled 4x6posts for my outdoor bin. It will long outlast me. Redwood and crdar are rot and worm resistant. The herd stays off the sides and in the food, where they should be!

• jim08204
    13 years ago

I'll be building two 4x6 foot bins bunk-bed style this fall out of wood (not sure which kind yet) to protect my herd this winter. I'm looking into soil-heating cables to keep the bins warm. - Jim

• merrygardener
    13 years ago

Just to be clear, equinox2... you (and your egg carton idea) are the reason my bin is NOT too damp! :)

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    13 years ago

Ok. Good. I do not like it when my suggestions are bad and mess up other peoples worming.

Did you know if one purchases two $1 ice cream Sundays at McDonalds they give you a card board coffee tray if you ask? I'm getting coffee tray rich and I don't even drink coffee.

So I like plastic but maybe God also made Aluminium or Stainless Steal or some other metal for worm bins.

• antoniab
    13 years ago

EQ, actually, they will give you one with only one drink or sundae. They will also give you a free odd look, but your worms can't compost that.

My worms love me when I spill ice cream on the drink holder too.

• lkittle
    13 years ago

hi antoniab; Now thats way over board! Buying ice cream for worms claimbing to spill it, so it flavors the cardboard to feed to your worms. We really understand it, but is all that nessissary just to give them a cool treat.

• antoniab
    13 years ago

lkittle, better the ice cream for them then on my hips, I suppose...
    or maybe I am just clumsy and spill an awful lot.

Sadly, I do buy lots more fruits and veggies now that I keep worms. And eat less ice cream than I buy. Who knew keeping worms could be good for your diet?