Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
folly_grows

Is there a WA: Wormers Annonymous?

folly_grows
15 years ago

Hello. My name is Folly and I am obsessed with worms.

It's been a little over a month since I began my Worm Factory and I have to admit that I am obsessed with my worms and their care. I know that I don't need to check on them several times a day. I know that they have plenty of food and bedding. But I just can't help myself.

So I've decided that the best thing for all concerned is to move them out of my front patio. It's just too close to both the kitchen and front door. They will be moved to an undisclosed location where I won't easily see them for (gulp) two weeks. I fed them two days ago and there is plenty of bedding in their tray. The weather is cool (mid-50's to mid 60's), but they've got to get used to being San Francisco worms and they'll probably stay warmer if I'm not constantly lifting the lid.

Is this too cruel? Maybe I should just visit them once a week on feeding day. But I will still allow myself to read this forum. And I will still save them food in the freezer.

Folly

Comments (9)

• wfike
    15 years ago

I think you are in it now. When you are a worm daddy you have a big family! Or mabye a whole lot of employees depending on how you look at it.

• old_compost
    15 years ago

Yep! You have joined the group.

This is your new life: Going away for a few days, so, should I leave the stereo on for the wrigglers?

I take a bin of wrigglers from the winter house to the summer cabin every year. 10 hours drive time. Good travelers.

(Fabulous gardens in both zones.)

• folly_grows
    Original Author
    15 years ago

(gulp) I am 20 hours from when I relocated the worms. So far, I've successfully fought the urge to check on them. You know, the sun and wind might be different in their new location. Almost lost the battle this morning when DH noticed that they were gone. (He likes saying hello/good-bye to them as he goes to /from work.) He wants them back home, but will try to support me for my two-week hiatus.

I inherited a Wriggly Wranch this week and am fighting the surge to set it up. When old_compost mentioned travelling with part of his herd, my mind and heart started racing. It's going to be a rough two weeks.

Folly

• jenv14
    15 years ago

My name is Jennifer, and I am addicted to my worms.

I picked up a few pounds from a worm farm, and on the way home stopped for groceries. Yes, the worms went to Publix. They didn't voice any preferences on produce, so I decided organic would be best for them. Sometimes the little bin, made from a small fruit crate goes for a ride to a friends house with me. I have social worms, and worried friends.

I tried to leave them alone when I first got them, back in February, but I have since given up. I check my worms at least twice each day, give them an ice block, and remark on the beauty of their poop.

DH tells me the bin stinks when he walks into the garage. I suggested he hold his breath until he gets to work.

I am happy, and the worms aren't complaining. Why fight the urge? I can't even imagine.

Jen

• mwudan
    14 years ago

My name is Marty and I also am addicted to disturbing my worms. When I open the rubbermaid and none are visible on the sides, i cannot rest until i poke under the bedding to see them wriggling around. When I open the container to find more than five on the sides, i fret at work all day. I used to have a life. Now i have worms. And it's only week 3.

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

Wormers Anonymous? It could never happen. The first thing you would have to do is admit that you have a problem. How many of us are going to admit the worming is a problem?

• rom.calgary.ab
    14 years ago

I was in the basement earlier and found myself looking at the tubs we keep the kids toys in thinking about which ones would be ideal to make into stacked worm bins. My first one is only a week old but I found learning about this and setting up the first one was so much fun I think I'd like to get a second one going.

My wife and kids don't visit this forum so I don't mind admitting it here.

• leearnold
    14 years ago

It sounds like we've all caught some disease. I have been vermicomposting long enough that I'm past the "urge to look every 5 min." stage, but my friends and family still think I'm odd. You know -

No matter how many bins I have going - there's always room for more.

Taking home food scraps from restaurants - for the worms.

Asking family members to save egg shells so I have enough for the worm bins.

Driving around the neighborhood to pick up coffee grounds from Starbucks.

Spending hours of time mixing worm bedding.

And the list goes on.......

• susanfromhawaii
    14 years ago

I'm guessing a WA group would backfire. We'd spend all the time talking about our worms!!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living