? about feeding worms Orange peals

Posted by MHERRON2213 Illinois (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 19:04

Are orange peals good for worms - same ? lemon peals

Thanks - Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? about feeding worms Orange peals

I feed citrus peels to my bin without any problems. You probably wouldn't want to feed just citrus peels but mixed in with other kitchen waste it should be fine.

o

I had the same experience as Boreal. My worms were just fine with orange peels, especially if they were ground up with other kitchen waste.

Orange peels do have an oil which the worms do not care for, but a little mold will break that down, then the worms will have a feast. It may take a few days before the orange peels are edible for the worms. Just let them go moldy, and don't worry about them.

o

My guys love, love grapefruit. I also feed lemon, lime etc in moderation

o

"In moderation" is the key to just about anything we toss in the bin. There are exceptions, like bedding or horse manure. In general, if something is questionable, "in moderation" is your answer.

o

Once it's rotting, the worms will be all over it

This post was edited by otis11 on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 13:28

o

Mmmmm, I love lifting the lid and having my compost smell like citrus. It smells so fresh. Nice change from the smell of broccoli, etc.

o

Just need to be careful with the citrus fruit can decrease the pH too much. I was reading that the ground oyster shell used for chickens or crushed eggshells can be used to bring pH up if needed. In addition, the oils contain antibacterial qualities that if in too high quantities can be detrimental to your vermiculture. I have attached a link that has some good information about "Dangerous Worm Food"

Here is a link that might be useful: Dangerous worm food

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here