Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dak56_gw

Worm Compost musings

dak56
14 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I can't believe my good fortune in finding a forum devoted to vermiculture! I built a worm box about 20 years ago, didn't really do all that well, but always loved the idea. Last May, I bought a Worm Wranger factory, and I love how this lets me nourish the soil & my plants. I really liked the coconut coir that came with the system, the worms seem to absolutely love it, so I found a source on amazon that's perfect, it's by Zoo Med, 3 compressed bricks, with Amazon Prime free shipping, $10.99 delivered.

Since my kitchen waste doesn't generate a huge amount of worm castings, I found, to get the best bang for the buck, that activated compost tea is potent stuff! So bought the bucket, air pump, air stones, spray bottle, airline tubing and now brew up a tonic for my veggies every couple of weeks. I've never had a garden that has looked so good & has been so prolific.

But back to the worm factory, I had started getting fruit flies. It gets pretty hot here in the summer, so my worm bin is in my kitchen. So, more research on the internet, & I discovered Bokashi! OMG, so now I needed more buckets & found a fantastic site in Hawaii that has the fairest price I've seen on EM products. No more fruit flies! I added my first finished bucket to a tray last week, worrying that I was overloading the system, but, no worries, the worms jumped right in and are munching away.

I've really seen a progression over the years in my approach to gardening, first, I would buy plants at a nursery because they just struck me as pretty. Then, I started thinking about how they all look together, shape, scent, color. Then, what grew best in my area. Now,it seems, I've gotten to the best part, the soil. It's great how it all comes together.

I'd be real interested in hearing how other people have gotten started.

Comments (2)