Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is vermicomposting dangerous to your health?

Posted by Bobthegamer California (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 19:26

I just got into vermicomposting recently and since i started i have been really into it.But lately i was wondering if it could be dangerous since the way i prepare my worms food is i get food vegetable/fruit scraps that are beginning to rot then i blend it and store it in a bucket until my worms finished their last meal.By the time i give them their food its filled with mold and all fuzzy but they seem to love it.But can this be dangerous to my health since I'm handling all this rotten food when i'm preparing it and when i'm feeding them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is vermicomposting dangerous to your health?

I put my food into the bins a little before it gets to be repulsive. It can decompose those last couple of days in there.

If you're feeding any soft, liquidy stuff like cantaloupe or watermelon or things edible without choppers, don't worry about it decomposing....they'll eat it right away.

But I don't think you're in danger unless some critter flittering around that putrid mess decides to take a bite outa you.

Chuckiebtoo

o

Maybe Latex Gloves if you are worried

o

Just be sure to wash your hands. It doesn't even have to be antibacterial. Just be sure to keep rubbing your hands together about the same amount of time as singing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star". ;-)

o

why wait, just put it in as you have it. That's what I do. Penny

o

I put my veggie and fruit scraps in that I used to throw in the trash. It decomposes fast. I mist my worm bed daily. It helps the paper and food stay moist. They prefer moist to lots of food. They will eat the newspaper bedding. Mine are hard core. I don't cut the food up for them like the teacher of my vermie class recommended. Still alive and doing well.

o

It will just take longer for them to use the food you put in the bin if you dont chop it up and leave it whole but eventually will get done.

o

If you have an allergy to mold than it could be somewhat dangerous.....wearing a mask and gloves would help.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here