Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
byrdmando

New member Intro

byrdmando
9 years ago

My name is Byrd. I live in Bedford County, Va. on 36 acres with my wife and three children (5 yrs, 3 yrs., 6 months). My wife has always been into gardening and is in charge of what/when we grow and I provide much of the labor. Also, we raise our own beef and chicken (both for meat and eggs) and are in the beginning stages of purchasing a few hogs.

Well the other day while perusing the local Craigslist, I saw an advertisement for a worm "factory" for 25 dollars. It came with five bins. I had been to a worm "seminar" several years prior but was not in a financial position to get started at that time. This time, I had a few extra bucks in a soup can so I bought the factory and ordered 3000 worms (red wigglers) from Uncle Jim.

They arrived today and I couldnt be more excited. I made a bed with damp peet moss (I forgot the paper) and dumped the worms in. I now have them sitting under a bright'ish light for the next 24 hours while they acclimate.

Not really sure what else to do but I hope yall wont mind answering some very basic questions from time to time.

Look forward to being a productive member of this great forum.

Byrd

Comments (10)

• CarlosDanger
    9 years ago

Welcome Byrdman.....

Most likely you'll do fine, but if you don't it'll be because you don't read the archives, ask questions, and/or listen to what we tell you with our responses.

Another thing: kids looovve messing with worms. Get them into it and it will teach them a thing or two about something besides playing Angry Birds or watching Frozen on their tablets.

Carlos

• sbryce_gw
    9 years ago

Peat moss by itself is not a great environment for worms. If you have some aged cow manure, that would make much better bedding. Toss some in NOW. Even just a little bit. (Assuming the cows have not been dewormed recently.) Or find some kitchen scraps to toss in. You need something decomposing in the bin for the worms to feed on. Then see if your local library has a copy of Worms Eat my Garbage by Mary Appelhof.

Somewhere on line there should be something that will explain how to use cow, chicken and pig manure to feed your herd. If you are composting it now, it should make good worm food once it is composted past the heating stage.

• byrdmando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Can anyone point me in the direction of the archives? I can not seem to find them anywhere.

Thanks.

• byrdmando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Can anyone point me in the direction of the archives? I can not seem to find them anywhere.

Thanks.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/verm/

The last printed thing on the page is clickable numbers of the 67 pages which are I think our archives. You are on page one now. Some of us have started at the beginning, page 67, and worked our way to page 1. Read that and you will know more than us because we forgot what we wrote.

• byrdmando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Quick Update:

I have ordered "Worms eat my garbage" from the local library. Also, I went out to the field to find some cow manure (I havent had cows for several months so I had to scrounge) and I found some old dry manure that I threw in with the peat moss.

For the past 24 hours I have kept the lid off and put a light on them to force them down but I put the lid on this evening and 30 minutes later a few were starting to get on the lid and crawl out. So I took the lid back off and put the light back on them.

Also, I added about half a banana peel with an equal part newspaper and put it in the corner under the bedding. There is only about one inch of space left to the top of the first bin so I am very afraid that I have over filled it.

My wife tells me I worry to much (and she is correct) and I should let it develop but I dont want to make a catastrophic mistake right off the bat.

I have delved into the archives and have already learned some but that is a long journey there.

Is there anything that you notice that I have done to ensure failure??? or should I just let it develop?

Thanks.

• espor
    9 years ago

Byrd,
    Let it develop.

I've had a Can-O-Worms system, which is similar to yours, for 19 years and there are always worms on the lid. The lid gets damp and they are able to climb. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are trying to escape. It is just their nature to move around anywhere that is moist.

In regards to filling the tray to within an inch. I pretty much keep my working tray, the top feeding tray, filled to the top with bedding. In my case it is micro-shredded paper that is kept moist. I move the paper to feed in pockets and cover with the paper.

Just leave them alone for a few days and as long as everything is moist enough it will be fine.

• byrdmando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Espor.

• byrdmando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Quick Update:

Day 7 and they are still alive. Bin began to smell slightly so I figured I had given them to much food so I put a bunch more shredded paper in there and closed the lid and walked away. I hope that will clear it up soon. I dont think I am going to feed them anything for a couple more weeks.

Byrdmando

• hummersteve
    9 years ago

Not everyone does their bins the same way with same bedding. I mix a lot of shredded paper in the initial bedding with peat, coffee grounds or whatever else. Then I fill the remaining space in my worm factory with more paper. This paper I shred black and white newsprint lengthwise by hand as its much easier to move around or transfer to a new bin as a starter.

I think people who have access to aged horse manure use it and nothing else but I will let them tune in on that method.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County