Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenr1963

tomato paste

kenr1963
13 years ago

I'm going to have in a week or two about two+ bushels of tomato paste from when we make juice for my wifes soup for this winter can I feed this to my worms?Just did 27 pints of pickles.MMM!!were poor but we eat good.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    13 years ago

How do you seperate the juice from the paste? I used to use a brand new steralized nylon. The clear juice went to make the crust of the pizza and the paste went on top with oregno. Is the paste you are wanting to give the worms more like the skins and seeds? If so I would put it in containers in the refrigerator and put one in the bin every week covered with bedding.

• happyhoosierworms
    13 years ago

Wow! That's a lot of paste! Can you can some of it for yourselves to use? I would freeze whatever the wormies can't eat within three weeks and then thaw and feed as needed. Listen closely to them after they eat it though they may be crooning "That's Amore!".
    Those pickles sound really good too!

• sbryce_gw
    13 years ago

In spite of all the noise some people make about bins becoming acidic, my worms love tomatoes.

• kenr1963
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't have the freezer space to put excess waste wish I did.I cook the tomatos for 30 seconds in boiling water and shuck the skin and then use a blender to smash it up then strain it that and the skins is what I'm going to feed my worms.

• pjames
    13 years ago

I skinned and then froze several pound of tomatoes myself the other day. I took the excess juice, put it into a pitcher, filled a glass and then convinced my wife to start drinking...LOL

I see no reason to give worms stuff that is good for me...

I give them my garbage!!

I gotta learn how to make paste though. I came real close to buying a canning system the other day. Then I figured I'd just freeze what I grow.. Good plan unless the power goes out.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    13 years ago

Proceed at your own risk.

Rinse and dry tomatoes
    Cut out stem
    Toss in blender
    Pour into knee high
    Hang from cabinet hooks
    Put bowls underneath to catch
    clear water
    Use this as the liquid part to make pizza dough
    All the worms get is the stems.
    If my worm was named Charlie...
    Sorry Charlie.

• alabamanicole
    13 years ago

pjames, I don't know if you came up with that phrase, but if not, you should be very leery of anything marketted as a "canning system." Canning is pretty simple to learn (although it takes a lifetime to master) and requires very little equipment. Tomatoes don't even require a pressure cooker, although you should add acid to any low acid tomatoes you can to be on the safe side.

• lkittle
    13 years ago

Hi All; Canning System sort of like boiling water, No exactly like boiling water. All you need to know is how long to boil and put lid on. Set to cool and cooling seals lid to jar. The prep of whatever you are canning is biomaterial specific. Tomatoes prep washing and stem removal.Skin removal by blanching. Stuff into jars either whole or cut up. Boil for time specific based on jar size.
    You got canned tomatoes canned. If tomatoes are low acid variety put in lemon juice to bolster acid level. thats my system.