Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamato3_gw

grrr- temperature problems

mamato3
15 years ago

I expected with the move to the new wood bin, that wormies would be happier. Apparently not so, as there were about a hundred worms hanging out on the sides yesterday, and the temp felt warm. They were actually tucked into a fold in the landscape fabric.

Any suggestions welcome, as I really don't want to kill them all off!

The new bin is 7 sq ft, plywood. It's painted white on the outside, and bare wood on the inside. I have landscape cloth on the botoom, to keep wormies in, and away from my overlarge drain holes. Multiple large drainholes. The lid is not exactly a tight fit, so they also have air coming in at the top.

The box is up on bricks, because I have crappy dirt. Meaning it rains, and my yard floods. I didn't want the bin to have flooding, so I raised it.

Bedding consists of shredded newspaper, cardboard, and leaves. The leaves were over a year old, and broken up when I put them in.

There has been no food put into the bin in a bit over a week, but it's all gone now.

Thankfully todays temps were cooler, and the bedding felt cool to the touch. YEsterday was extremely hot and humid (storm last night) and the bedding felt significantly warmer than my body temperature.

What could be the problem? Is it possible that over a year old leaves are causing the bedding to heat up some? Or is it just that danged hot? I assume that there were cooler parts of bedding, since not all the worms were up.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional