Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmw1_gw

some sort of carnivorous insect larva

gmw1
12 years ago

I was sifting thru the vermicompost by hand from the bucket where I keep the worms, unfortunately a long frost and then an early heat wave has basically put paid to my pound or so of eisenia fetida. I think I have about a fourth cup or so of worms left, and I have created a second bin, to hopefully allow for larger colonies later.

But, I was sick for two days, and while I had protected the worms not yet sifted, when I went out today, they were gone, all but one tiny worm. There may be egg cases, but I didn't identify any, what I saw was a segmented larva varying from 1/2" to 1" long, whose shells are left with a tiny hole in the middle of one end. They look like pillbug larva, but I can't tell what they are. My neighbor's entymologist brother may be able to identify them, but I think they must be carnivorous. There were so many left in the vermicompost, without any worms, after only two days, I have to wonder.

Does anyone have an idea what it could be? Is it carnivorous? Do I need to keep it out of the bin?

And last but not least, does anyone in the area (San Antonio) have excess worms they wouldn't mind sharing? I need eisenia fetida if I can get them, as they do better in the heat. I have relocated the bin now so as to be out of the sun during the deadly part, but I still don't see how the sun could have affected them the past two days.

Gina

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County