Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathmcd7

What did you feed your worms today?

kathmcd7
14 years ago

Seems like there is so much food this time of year for the worms. I fed the inside worms bananas, watermelon, cucumbers, lettuce, and strawberry tops. The outside worms got watermelon, figs, lettuce, and potato skins. I'm just about out of brown leaves to cover the food, and luckily some of my trees are starting to shed.

Comments (6)

• duffinvt
    14 years ago

Squash blossoms as a treat, a banana peel and a couple of corn cobs to munch on. They love what's left on the cob after we have gnawed it. There really is so much food at this time of year, I wish I could share with those who have no garden. We have apples rotting on the ground that are not good eating. I cut up some and put in the freezer for the worms, but we have overgrown summer and zucchini squash, "mystery" squash that grew from seeds in the regular compost. It is of unknown origin so that will go to the worms. We have bushels of overgrown lettuce. The freeze is FULL so the regular compost bin will get most of this stuff.

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

The worms got the trimmings from a large salad I made last night. Lettuce, tomato, celery, bell pepper.

My apartment is swarming with fruit flies. I think the fruit flies are breeding in the bin, so there will be no fruit fed to the worms until they are gone.

I have watermelon rinds and banana peels in the freezer waiting for the fruit flies to die off.

• duffinvt
    14 years ago

Easy fruit fly trap that you can even put in the bin. Cut the top off a plastic water or soda bottle, put some vinegar in the bottle bottom and put the cut top on upside down.. like it is now a funnel sitting in the top of the cut bottle. Just set these around where the fruit flies are or put them right in the bin if the flies are in there. Works great !

• Jasdip
    14 years ago

...and make sure you cover the food you put it the bin with lots of shredded paper. The flies won't dig for their food.
    Freezing everything prior to feeding will eliminate any eggs that could be on the food.

• perridale
    14 years ago

I have taken to running all scraps through an old food processor, freezing, thawing, and then feeding.

I have an old ice cream bucket with a lid I keep in the kitchen where I put the store leftovers and scraps. When I get ready to feed the worms I grind everything up in an old Black & Decker food processor (it's pretty big). I'll add cut up napkins, papertowels, coffee grinds, etc. to the goo. I dump it back into the bucket, freeze it over night, put the bucket outside to thaw, and feed the worms when I get home from work.

I dig out a corner and dump a large scoop, cover with castings/bedding in the bin and move to the next corner and repeat until all four corners are "fed". I cut a piece of thin cardboard to cover the bin and let the worms go to town. Within a few days the food is 100% gone. Each time I find huge globs of worms in each corner still working over the area.

Lately I've been feeding cucumbers out of my garden that have turned a bit before I could use them otherwise. Since I started freezing, the fruit fly population has really dropped, not totally gone, but noticeably dropped.

• duffinvt
    14 years ago

Here is something fun to do if you like to blend your worm food. Get a bunch of paper egg cartons and put the blended food in the cups. Freeze and then tear apart and store in bag in freezer. The worms love it and it is really a neat way to feed them "goop" from the blender.