Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting a new setup

Posted by newbie101lt1 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 2, 09 at 1:31

As i posted before i used dirt in my first try at this. They all seem happy so far.Using the euro worm.Eisenia Hortensis.Going to go to a 3 bin setup of either 10 or 14 gal bins.Ordered the coca coir today also and got plenty of newspaper now.After i get this together and move these guys to there new home how long should i wait till i feed them.
Only have about 300 plus euros so far.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting a new setup

Feed them right away. When they are hungry they'll go to the food. Do pocket feeding. Put a little bit 1/4 cup to start say, in a corner of the bin and cover with dry newspaper. Check it again in a couple days and see if they're eating/eaten it.

If you chop, freeze and thaw the food, it will be eaten much quicker than putting raw, hard food in. It takes time for the food to break down to where the worms can enjoy it.

o
RE: starting a new setup

Keep them all in one bin for now, not 3. I've read in http://oacc.info/DOCs/Vermiculture_FarmersManual_gm.pdf that if the worm density is less than 1/2 lb per square foot, they won't reproduce well. (And > 1lb/ft2 also diminishes mating.)

Mix the dirt they are already in with moist shredded newspaper, put food on top of that in one corner, and then top with shredded newspaper. There should be cocoons in the dirt, so don't throw it all out. If you've got way too much dirt for your 300 worms, let the unused dirt sit (moist) for 2 months or more and then move the babies over with the rest of the 'kids.' I'm with jasdip. At least in the beginning, freeze and thaw the food to get things started right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here