Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
takadi

Cheap plastic bins

takadi
15 years ago

I've been vermicomposting in 18 gallon rubbermaid containers and one thing I never really liked about it was the shape. It's way too deep and the sides slope too much so it's hard to incorporate a stacking system. The perfect plastic bin would wide, shallow, with more perpendicular sides. Where would you find this type of bin?

Comments (9)

• saworm
    15 years ago

there are a few people who use large bins like yours...your commercial stacking bins would probably be the best but they are pricy. I have made myself a stacking system with meat / fish crates which works quite well. They are a little deep but work quite well. Have you thought of a flow through bin. Easy harvesting is a major advantage with this bin. Hope this helps.

• mbetts
    15 years ago

Rubbermaid makes a 10-gallon bin, which would be just what you are looking for. It's not as easy to find in the stores as the larger sizes, though. Lowe's has it on line, and I think some though not all of the Lowe's stores have it in stock.
    The rubbermaid 10-gal is called for in the directions for the OSCR Jr. stacking bin system. The plans are on line.
    mbetts

• roselover_5b
    15 years ago

To get more surface area rather than depth, I use the under-the-bed containers. These are about 7 inches deep, 18 inches wide, and 4 feet long. LOTS of space in that. The drawback is that they are not nearly as portable as my traditional bins are.

• leearnold
    15 years ago

You need to use a tote by Rubbermaid called Roughneck. It is wide and shallow with straight sides.

• takadi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The one I really want is the one this woman uses in this youtube video link down below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Video link

• mbetts
    15 years ago

Looks like a kitty litter pan to me.
    mbetts

• folly_grows
    15 years ago

takadi -- The container in the video looks like either a dishpan or kitty litter pan. Both are relatively inexpensive. You might also try emailing the maker of the video for clarification.

• takadi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cool, can you find these at walmart or something? I'm hoping I can still fit the lid of my 18 gallon rubbermaid over a kitty litter pan.

I'm hoping to recreate the Wriggly Wranch stacking system using much much cheaper bins

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    13 years ago

Back in January this year when Lowe's and Walmart were closing out their Christmas decorations they both had a deep discount sale on bins to put the decorations in. If you still have a need check next just after Christmas.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County