Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pskvorc

Springtail Densities in My Indoor Bins

pskvorc
9 years ago

My indoor, plastic bins have been havens for springtails (Collembola sp.) ever since I naively inoculated the bins with local leaf litter. To my eye, the density of the springtails has been "phenomenal". Since there are those here at the vermicomposting site that have questioned my veracity with regard to other reports of large numbers of animals, (worms), I thought I should start with photo-verified facts before I wax effusive with how impressed I am with the density of springtails in my indoor bins.

First, there are two bins, and my subjective perspective was that even though the density in both bins was very high, the density in one of the bins was considerably greater than the other. An objective quantitative analysis revealed that opinon to be correct.

Here are some "random" images of the some portions of the bins showing the somewhat uniform distribution of the springtails throughout the bins.
First the "high density" bin:

and then the "lower density" bin:

Then, taking multiple (21), random samples (images) of 20mm x 20mm squares from each bin, I used Biopar's proprietary software and counted the springtails in each of the samples from each bin. Here are some images of the "human readable" intermediate steps that will help - I hope - give "you" some idea of some of the mechanics of the process.

and the next step:

The tiny white spots in the first four 20mmx20mm pictures are specular reflections from the moist surface. Also, the black and white images do not show all of the counted springtails, just those in the first pass of image processing.

After 'turning the crank', the average density in the "high density" bin was 0.56 springtails per square mm. In the "lower density" bin, it was 0.37 springtails per square mm. At the level of the surface of the 'dirt', the dimensions of the surface of the dirt in the "high density" bin was approximately 508mm by 381mm, or 193,548 square mm. Yielding a SURFACE population estimate of 108,386 springtails. In the "lower density" bin, the surface population estimate was "only" 78,884 springtails.

There are two reason why I emphasized "surface": 1) there are LOTS of springtails below the surface, and 2) from observation alone and without "doing the math", I think the subsurface density is at least twice the surface density! If that presumption is correct, AND the springtails are close to uniformly distributed throughout the "compost", (without testing, the weakest assumption), then the density of the "high density" BIN is 14,516,100 springtails! THAT'S MORE THAN 14 MILLION SPRINGTAILS in that ONE BIN!

Assuming that the density is not uniform from surface to "floor", let's cut the subsurface density in half, that's still over SEVEN MILLION springtails in that one bin!

I suspect that even with the photgraphic evidence and explanation, those that can't believe what they don't see will once again question my veracity. That's OK. (Actually it's NOT "OK", but I can 'handle' it without having a tantrum.) This post isn't an attempt to impress anyone about me. Rather it IS an attempt to:

1) Give some idea of the density of springtails in my indoor plastic bins,
2) To "impress" people - as I am impressed - with the amazing numbers of springtails that are possible in a relatively small space, and
3) provide some "proof", for those with open minds, that when I say "thousands", or in this case, MILLIONS, and I don't qualify that comment with respect to hyperbole, that I actually MEAN "thousands" or millions.

I am completely open to any and all questions regarding my methods, calculations or anything else anyone would like to ask. What I'd REALLY like is some discussion on the "amazingness" of this. I knew the springtails numbers were high, but this is truly astounding, and I can SEE THEM!

Paul

Comments (6)

• renais1
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Much of my worm composting is done to get rid of lots of weeds and plant waste from gardening. I have quite a few rubbermaid containers where I load most of the container with weeds and a little paper, and then cover the top with a gallon or so of older worm bed material, loaded with the worms and other bin denizens. In some of these weed bins I will also see the kinds of densities of springtails that you show. From a distance, it might look like someone sprinkled something on the top of the bin, but a closer look reveals all the movement and the activity. My new weed bins decrease in volume pretty quickly when first started, so they get additional inputs of weeds every week or so. With each input I flip the entire bin so the old bottom material is now on top. The new weeds are put on the bottom before the flipping so they are covered with the older bin material. I do find that there are springtails often in great numbers on the bottom of the material when I flip. I don't mind at all because the bins are not in the house, and my purpose for the bins is to get rid of weeds, and make some compost; the springtails are eager workers. I on occasion have added rotting alfalfa hay to the top of some of these bins. It appears that this hay inhibits the springtails quite a bit, at least on the surface. Within a couple days of adding the hay, there are practically no springtails left.
    Renais

• pskvorc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I on occasion have added rotting alfalfa hay to the top of some of these bins. It appears that this hay inhibits the springtails quite a bit, at least on the surface. Within a couple days of adding the hay, there are practically no springtails left.

Fascinating! I wonder what there is in rotting alfalfa that inhibits/kills springtails?

I like your system. Sounds very 'practical', and I am particularly fond of things practical. I also appreciate the corroboration of the densities I am reporting. Never hurts to have a someone 'second the motion'.

Paul

• chuckiebtoo
    9 years ago

Paul, you do have a plethora of springtails. i've never seen that many in a bin.

The one steadfast rule I've always followed is to not introduce stuff into an indoor bin that may be "contaminated". That also applies to all my other bins as well because dealing with varmints is just a pain.

Any stuff I put in there of suspicious properties is always frozen first. Matter of fact, almost everything I put in bins is frozen first. Even if it contains no "aliens", freezing accelerates decomposition.

Also, having an excuse for a garage fridge/freezer allows opportunities for ample cold beer storage.

Chuckiebtoo

• mendopete
    9 years ago

Wow Paul, I am amazed. Looks like you have a springtail composting bin!
    I have never seen a springtail in my outdoor bins. Maybe some are there. Very interesting. Were the first 2 random shots done with zoom, or is that what it looks like to the naked eye?

• barbararose21101
    9 years ago

Please tell me whether you are pleased with this population of springtails. Are we assuming that lots of springtails is an expression of a bin on the wet side of moist ?

After I read that post a little mantra hummed in my mind: whither, thither and hither -- where the springtails go, so go the wigglers.

IF you have any mixed feelings about the plethora, maybe keep half the bin a little drier ?

• pskvorc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In order of appearance...

chuckiebtoo - Your recommendation of freezing is well-taken, but these leaves were bagged and outdoors throughout the preceding winter, and I found the bags frozen hard long after the last snow was gone. Some critters, especially those adapted to arctic climes, can tolerate temperatures well below freezing.

mendopete - Not "zoomed". In fact, it's even more "impressive" to my naked eye because they are jumping all over the place. Plus, when I turn a spatula-full of material over, the subsurface is practically solid white!

barbararose - All I have READ left (past tense) me unconcerned about the density of the springtails in my bins. Now, doubts are beginning to creep in about just how "benign" a density of this level is with respect to growing Eisenia fetida. Others have mentioned that springtails will 'compete' with worms for food. While I have no doubt that at some level that is "true", I have a feeling that they also "assist" worms by "attacking" some foodstuffs and thereby making it available to worms before it otherwise might have been. I emphasize that that is just speculation on my part.

As for "wet"... Sorta. Before I went on my 'summer vacation', I was concerned about my bins drying up while I was gone, so I intentionally over-watered them. When I came back, I found them still over-watered. I haven't added a drop over the course of the summer, and they are still "too wet" in my opinion. I have sworn off (and AT) the use of shredded news print in MY indoor bins, but I have added dry coffee grounds and other "dry stuff" over the course of the summer. The bins have dried a little. They are still wetter than I would like.

I've lost considerable - but not all - interest in my plastic indoor bins since my success with the larger outdoor one. At this point, the indoor ones are more for observation and experimentation than anything else. Therefore, I am willing to 'let things ride' for a while and see where this all leads, Both bins are showing substantial production of worms. LOTS of young red wigglers, and lots of egg capsules, so it doesn't appear that the springtails are causing any problems, BUT, the production COULD be response to "stress", and a worm population crash could be in the offing. Time will tell.

Paul