Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silly Questions

Posted by october17 5chgo (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 6, 09 at 8:30

Last year I covered my three raised beds with a thick layer of chopped leaves - mostly maple.

This spring, when I dug holes to plant, the soil was chock full of worms. I hated the digging because I felt like I was chopping up the worms and killing them!

Then, I thought, well, since there are so many worms there, maybe I don't need to work the soil. But, my plants are not doing that well.

So my question is, when worms are cut in half, do they die? Do I have to kill them to work my soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silly Questions

Some might die but for most the the part with the clitellum (band in the middle) will live on and grow back. If you were chopping them up on a daily basis I'd say stop, all that work for no benefit.

Since those worms are there naturally I wouldn't worry about bisecting a few now and then. Those are likely Anecic worms or worms that live in the soil and come to the surface to eat. They go back down and poop in the soil distributing organic material so they are nice to have. Even if you removed all of the ones you find and squish them I'd bet you'd find more move in eventually, provided there is decaying organic material there for them to chew on.

Go ahead and work the soil in your beds, I don't think you are doing them (in a wider general sense) any harm. A few that you chop up might disagree but hey, who's the big dog in your ecosystem?

o
RE: Silly Questions

I just saw the biggest worm! It had to be 9 or 10" long and 1/2" thick!

No wonder there are more robins this year than I've ever seen before.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here