Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compost Pellets

Posted by lville72 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 08 at 8:49

Hello, I am a bonsai tree enthusiast, and I have a number of trees in training pots. I want to apply my vermicompost to them as a natural supplement to my fertilizing. I would like to take small clumps (1-2 tablespoons) and then wrap each clump up in an old bit of pantyhose or maybe cheesecloth. Then I'll set these around each tree, maybe 3-5 per pot.

My logic is that 1) I wouldn't have to deal with making a tea or anything each couple weeks, and 2) I could lessen the problem of fine partical build-up inside the pots as the compost breaks down over time. (Bonsai use a very free-draining soil mix--can't have muddy soil full of water at the bottom of the pot.)

What do you think of this idea? Can vermicompost dry out and still be just as effective and potent as when it is damp?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compost Pellets

AVCT is supposed to help plants sprayed directly on foliage, provides a microbial environment that helps prevent disease, bugs, improve growth etc. Don't know about it mixing into the soil from the top. I imagine it's an undesired look? Since they are training pots I think it'd be alright, then mix some directly into the potting mixture when they get moved.

o

I wouldn't worry about it messing up your free draining soil, good castings are more in the nature of humus, simply adding organic matter that takes a very long time to physically break down, while supplying nutrients that the soil bacteria can convert for the plants - best to have it spread around just under the surface so it doesn't totally dry, and water leaching thru it is accessible to all the feeder roots

Bill

o

I'm new to this forum and came across this particular subject. When using vermicompost doesn't the castings retain water ? and if so would vermicompost be beneficial to Bonsai trees ? and how much would you calculate in usage ? I've read elsewhere that you shouldn't use vermicompost because your Bonsai will grow quickly and prove troublesome to care. HELP !

o

Here's a link to another forum's post that talks about VC and bonsai trees.

Enjoy! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonsai & Vermicompost

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here