Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sophiera

Worms and fungi= ???

sophiera
15 years ago

The topic related to my problem is posted here

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/soil/msg0808022028160.html?2

Basically, I don't have space and want to use worms instead of just bacteria/fungi...but not only my brother is deathly afraid of worms, some website said they're ineffective

Not only that, I have lots of fungi growing in the pile now...was wondering if it will harm the worms.

Comments (13)

• rj_hythloday
    15 years ago

To start a worm bin, I'd recommend starting w/ bedding, corrugated cardboard, shredded newspaper let it sit for a week, add some worms. After it was established then you could add some of the hamster bedding, poop, no pee, banana peels etc. For now you might just want to find a spot to bury the hot compost that isn't composting. Dig a hole, dump in your pile, cover w/ the dirt you removed. All done.

• sophiera
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Eh? Hot...?
    I don't have a spot because I don't have any land.
    And the compost isn't hot. It's always cold since there's no space.

• mbetts
    15 years ago

sophiera, vermicomposting is great for people who want to compost in a small space. Worms take care of your garbage and turn it into excellent compost with much less space than a regular compost bin would use.
    However, if your brother is afraid of worms, does that mean that you will not even try having a worm bin?
    Worm bins do not have to be obvious or in the way. Your brother would not have to have anything to do with them if he didn't want to. But it's up to you. If you want to try worm composting, there is plenty of help on this forum.
    Let us know what you decide to do.
    mbetts

• mbetts
    15 years ago

Oh! I forgot to say that fungus will not hurt the worms. No problem there.
    mbetts

• squeeze
    15 years ago

sophiera - your main problem is an excess of higher nitrogen materials and a decided lack of carbon - in your list in the other thread [corn cob, hay, hamster poo, vegetable scraps, fruit scraps and urine] the only real carbon is the corn cob, and that'll be very slow acting ... if you add shredded paper/cardboard and control the moisture, the mix should heat up even in a small container

that mix is too "rich" for worms unless you add over 50% carbon bedding, and the reason you have fungi working it is the rich but cold mix ... fungi are also decomposers [and worm food], so in themselves are not a problem, but indicate your decomposition will be slow, and probably smelly

worms are very effective decomposers, but you need to provide the right conditions for them to thrive - read some here about what's needed, and tell your brother these are microbe eating worms, not microbial worms that might affect him, and they don't wander, so if he doesn't like them he can just stand back! Â :)

Bill

• sophiera
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Much thanks for all the replies.

I guess corn cob pellets are also the same thing. Oh wait, also some tissue paper as well but probably not enough.

I used to use newspaper, but I don't know in Malaysia the newspaper is vegetable ink or other types that might poison my plants. Can anyone confirm this?

As for my brother, he gets pretty tyranical when it comes to worms. even the thought of worms in my POTS outside gives him nightmares literally.

I don't know why, but if I want to have a worm bin it has to be done really out of his sight (the balcony in scret)

I do want a worm bin to break down the stuff, but I have a really whiny person who will be so vehemently be against of any kind of wiggly anywhere near him even though it's invisible.

Yes he's afraid of earthworms.

however, nothing can get done in the house if I just listen to other people so...how do I start? The bin is behind the air cond condenser anyway so there's nothing to be planted there.

It's just that clothes really get in the way.

• sophiera
    Original Author
    15 years ago

P.S the only available space I have left is outside where the bin is now and a space under some kind of table insdie the house. It's quite narrow too.

No other place in the house can fit them because if I do, it'll block the only walking space in the house. I kicked a lot of stuff by accident, just to give an idea how limited the space is

Perferbly outside because of ONE person, worms must be completely invisible to his eyes.

• leearnold
    15 years ago

sophiera, you might want to try a Worm Factory or Can Of Worms composting system. They have a VERY small "footprint" (16 inches x 16 inches) and can be started small and then increased in number of trays to fit your needs.
    Also, If you only worked with the bin when your brother was gone from home, he need not even know they were there.
    As Bill said above, I would add shredded newsprint and/or cardboard to what you have to support the worms. As for the ingredients of the ink, the newspaper publishers should be able to answer your questions. Here in the USA, the papers are heavily regulated and ALL ink (even color) is now soy based. However, I'm not sure about Malaysia.

• sophiera
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Where can I get that? I've never seen anything like that in Malaysia.

P.S I prefer something rectangular because that is the only available space I have left; rectangles.

• leearnold
    15 years ago

http://www.wormswrangler.com/?gclid=CJyk5Ke_qZUCFQi1IgodywL7ag

I'm not sure how much shipping would be to Malaysia

• folly_grows
    15 years ago

Sophiera -- You can start off slowly and smaller than you think. Some of our forum members from Hawaii have had success with gallon ice cream buckets. See the website posted below.

While you won't be able to recycle all of your kitchen waste at this size, you'll get a feel for vermicomposting. And perhaps once your brother realizes that the worms are quiet, don't smell, and are harmless, his fear will lessen and you can progress to a larger worm bin. My DH didn't want to have anything to do with my worms when I started a few months ago, but now he greets them when he goes to work each morning, and even peers into the bin when I feed them.

And here is an interesting Garden Web thread specifically about raising worms in Malaysia. Perhaps some of these sources will be useful to you. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/verm/msg0102121332433.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Waikiki Worm Co School Projects

• sophiera
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ooog a supplier in malaysia! that help a lot, thanks :)

• luckylee2010
    13 years ago

Dear Sophiera,

I have just started GG Worm Bin in Malaysia. If you are still interested to vermicompost using a square bin which caters for confined space, functional in our weather, please sent me a line at gogreenmalaysia@gmail.com.

Looking forward to hearing from you, eventhough I am 2 years late! Better late than never.

Regards

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource