Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benamarq

Baby Worms not growing

benamarq
11 years ago

Hello,

So we have lots of baby worms (wormlets is how we fondly refer to them) but they don't seem to be increasing the population of worms.

here is why i think the bins are healthy:

- the worms aren't crawling out

- there is moisture but no pooling at the bottom

here is why i'm worried:

- there doesn't seem to be an increase in the worms

- i'm using more shredded paper and less cardboard so maybe they can't breathe?

- the food i put in there is getting eaten - but they seem to love watermelon

any ideas on what is happening to my wormlets?

---

background: i started with a donation of a handful of worms in rubbermaid tubs with holes drilled on the bottom and sides. they are in a cool basement. i tend to put in a little bit of food in every week and spray with water for moisture.

Comments (13)

• colin3
    11 years ago

Your worms are having happy childhoods. New bins just take a while, especially if you begin with a small number of worms. It may take six months before you see noticeably larger numbers, and a year for the bin to reach full population.

• mendopete
    11 years ago

Use thick cardboard torn into strips, not shredded paper for a heathier bin with happier worms. Everything will be ok and the wormlets will grow up and make more wormlets.
    Good luck, Pete

• sarcasmo
    11 years ago

2 years ago, I accidentally 'drowned' my worms (the holes in the bottom of the bin were all clogged and liquid collected).

I started over with a handful of compost filled with 'wormlets'...

Now, I have a bin FILLED with wormlets, but they don't seem to be growing into full sized worms. What am I doing wrong? Maybe something is killing them before they can grow too big? I don't think I'm doing anything different than I used to.

Help!

• Celbrise
    11 years ago

i suggest putting egg shells. people say this stimulate reproduction and is very beneficial to the worms making the bin less acidic. some crush them some leave them alone and just throw it in i doubt it cuts the worms either way and yes it can be composted as well.

i started using eggshells recently in fear same thing might happen to me but i really never seen any problems my worms are less then a week old though but i do expect babies in a few months/weeks

• PeterK2
    11 years ago

Sometimes they hang out in different areas. While investigating I quite often hit areas packed full of little ones with no adults around.

sarcasmo, sure they are definately baby red worms and not white worms? Always have to ask as some folk mistake them.
    http://www.redwormcomposting.com/worm-composting/ive-got-white-worms/

If not, then I'd just give it time. Like with getting new babies, seems nothing is changing and then POW, you've got them.

• sarcasmo
    11 years ago

Thanks Celbrise and Peter.

I don't know if they're white worms. This bin has always been in an apartment, so I don't know how they would have gotten in there.

I suppose it's possible that they found there way in there from a clump of garden soil I tossed in once.

So I guess I have to go out and buy some red wigglers to repopulate. Can the red and white cohabitate, or should I just dump the bin and start over?

• PeterK2
    11 years ago

Yes, white worms are quite common in vermicomposting, they cohabitate. Sometimes they can get population explosions and usually it's when conditions as suboptimal for the regular worms (usually acidic). Can be very common in soggy bread.

There's pics in that link, big differences are they are much smaller (smaller that all but the youngest baby worms) and totally white. Other than that I can't tell from over here ;).

If you really do think they are white worms and that's all you have, you might have to get some new RWs to start again. If the worms you see are bigger, pinkish etc. then sounds like they are wormlets and you're probably ok (except for them staying small).

• lefeavers
    10 years ago

Don't 4get corn, & precompost. Oozy food, make 'em move red striped? Yellow tail? I'm in same boat with Bed run. Hope they grow fast. It's the little white bugs, i want Out of this free batch! Spotted 3 only crushed one.

• hummersteve
    10 years ago

Besides adding crushed egg shells I like to sprinkle corn meal all over the surface of the bed and when I do the worms come to the top and seem much more active[my bins are inside].

• triniworms1220
    9 years ago

I placed i would say a few thousand baby worms in a large bin about 3 weeks ago but i am not seeing them at all so i was wondering if they died or what. Any suggestions as to what may have happened to them?

• 11otis
    9 years ago

Baby worms don't like to be handled. How did you get thousands of them? And we're talking about red composting worms, right? Not pot worms.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

I second "How did you get thousands of baby worms?"

• triniworms1220
    9 years ago

The worm i use here in Trinidad is P.Excavatus. I have a cow manure heap with lots of juveniles so i took them manure and all from the manure heap and placed them in a bin with pre composted leaves , grass clippings, and cow manure. Its been 2months since and i am not seeing a large worm population.