Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starch packing pellets for bedding?

Posted by tedevore 7b Al (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 26, 09 at 11:00

Hi,

This may have been asked before and I should search the forum, but....

We get packages where I work where the packing pellets are made of "vegetable protiens and starch", they look like giant beige cheetos. I witnessed somebody here eat a couple, so they aren't poisonous apparently. The company that ships stuff calls them "puffns."

If you add a little water they get nice and moist and soft. If you left them in a tub of water long enough they could completely dissolve.

Anybody used these in worm bedding? I have a big supply and it seems like something the worms might be happy moving through.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starch packing pellets for bedding?

You would need to check and see if there are any chemicals in the pellets to inhibit mold, insects, etc.

These would be food, not bedding.

o

I have put them in the bin but i didn't have a lot
It sounds like a good experiment I wonder if the whole thing would turn soft and goooy

o

I just dissolved about a cubic yard of those last week! We've been trying to clean out the basement and finally went after the boxes of peanuts that we'd been storing since our wedding. It was a lot of fun watching them dissolve!

Based on how they responded to moisture, I'd expect that they would get goopy and glue-like very quickly. I wouldn't add too many of them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here