Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cow Manure in Compost Bin?

Posted by KendraSchmidt none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 13:03

I would like to add gardensoil to a new worm bin to get my worms settled, but my soil is very sandy and dry. My question is, can I add some manure from a composted bag of cow manure that I have on hand?

Even if I can add the sandy soil, which I don't want to, I would like to know if it's possible to add composted cow manure to the bin to get the worms settled and feeling at home.

The cow manure is composted, and smells like earth.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cow Manure in Compost Bin?

While in theory should be fine, it can depend on your system, the manure etc. As it's composted and sounds good I'd think you would be ok, but as always for safety can try in small amounts and always add with bedding.

Here's link from a great site just on this topic.
http://www.redwormcomposting.com/reader-questions/manure-in-a-home-worm-bin/

o

I don't understand why you want to add sandy soil or commercial composted manure to your worm bin. If you want to get your worms settled, try compost from a compost pile. Or dig into a neighbor's pile of grass clippings that have been tossed over the fence. Dig down and get the black, crumbly stuff from the bottom of the pile. Or go hiking and grab some duff off the ground. Or get some horse manure from a nearby stable, or start your worm bin a couple of weeks before your worms arrive.

o

After learning how long it takes for greensand to break down in soil and become available to my plants, I began to put it into my worm bin instead. The worms need grit to aid in their digestion so I see it as a good additive. I toss a little a time along with very small amounts of kelp and alfalfa meal.

In regard to adding compost, I highly recommend finding a quality product if that is the route you choose to go. You'll certainly have a superior product in the end in comparison to a bedding comprised of only shredded paper. I use shredded paper along with composted chicken manure as my bedding. Its cost effective and quality at the same time. I also throw in corrugated carboard. For some reason the worms love to leave the cocoons there. The chicken poop can be found for approx $4+ at most nuseries...decent sized bags. Whatever manure you decide, just make sure its composted...you'll be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here