Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thank you for banana info!!!

Posted by fisheggs 5NY (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 3, 09 at 13:15

Hi folks!

I just wanted to thank you and all the archives for helping me solve my first vermicomposting problem. We have our bins in the basement, where we also run a dehumidifier. So far, the newspaper bedding has remained slightly moist and the worms are happy enough that they are distributed throughout the bin pretty well. But I had begun my feeding with a couple of banana peels that didn't seem to have anything happening to them! If anything, they were just mummifying, getting hard and dry. Apples and coffee grounds are disappearing fast.

Based on my searches here, I started cutting them up with an old pair of scissors first into ~1 inch size pieces, and making sure that I kept them a few days before feeding. The last 4 or five that I fed to the wormikins have become pretty much unrecognizable. Such a simple solution, but I don't know that I'd have thought to do that on my own.

This is so much fun!
Ro

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thank you for banana info!!!

You're welcome from all of us. And welcome to the forum!

o
RE: Thank you for banana info!!!

LOL.....and we helped you without even knowing it!
Just a thought........I chop and freeze ALL my food. This speeds up the decomposition, so the worms eat it quicker. When you have more food than they can handle (and we all do), you stay ahead of the game, and don't need to throw anything out.

Be sure to cover any food addition with lots of dry shreds to discourage fruit flies. Especially with your banana peels and any fruit. Freezing also kills fruit flies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here