Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prepping my veg garden

Posted by zerbit 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 30, 09 at 13:40

My husband and son just built three great raised beds we are going to use for vegetables in the spring. I'm wondering if I should use this time to start worm colonies in the beds and even experiment with feeding them (kitchen waste) through the end of the growing season and into the winter.

Yes, I'm a noob and if this is dumb, try to be gentle with me. I'd love any feedback from you seasoned gardners! :^)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prepping my veg garden

It would be fine to start the beds now. Just remember, the adult worms won't make it through the winter unless you insulate the beds well. If you have access to leaves, you could pile them real deep on the beds to help insulate it. But even if the adults don't make it, they will lay lots of cocoons as colder weather approaches. And the babies will hatch in the spring, ready for your beds. Also, you need to keep the organic matter level of the bed high so that they have something to eat. Good luck with your project. Let us know how it goes!

o

Prep your beds now. Either work a lot of compost into the soil, and wait for the soil dwelling worms to show up, or create a trench composting system. A trench system is just a worm bin in a trench along one edge of the garden. As leearnold mentioned, the worms may not overwinter.

http://www.redwormcomposting.com/large-scale-vermicomposting/the-vermicomposting-trench/

o

Thanks for the responses. I've got somewhere to start.

o

I've gone out and worked some water into the soil, created a trench on one side of one of the three beds and buried it. I gave myself about 4-6 inches from the side so there was some soil for insulation and now I will start with my worms. I'm so excited!!!

o
trench composting

what happens to the worms in the trench after a season of growing?

do you leave them in the soil to die?
do you take them out somehow or maybe keep feeding them on the surface of the soil ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here