Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eaglesgarden

Outdoor garden bin size?

eaglesgarden
13 years ago

Ok, I am looking to take the plunge on an outdoor vermicomposting bin, but I need to know what size is required to be able to leave it outside all year. From the research I've done, the bigger problem seems to be keeping it cool enough in the summer, which seems to be possible by leaving the lid off, damp materials on top and keeping it fairly shaded. I have what I would consider an ideal spot for it based on that description, but I know that the larger it is the more uniform the temp will be.

So, I am thinking of making a 4'x8'x18" bin, maybe putting about 6" of the bin underground (maybe go 24" deep, with 12" underground.) Then, I wanted to put some rigid insulation on the inside of the box (to keep in the warmth/keep out the warmth, as well as to corral the worms!).

I figured that in the winter, I would have to put a shredded newspaper/cardboard on the top of the bin, all the way to the top (no air gap) to provide better insulation from the cold.

So, the questions are: Is this big enough? Should I have an inner compartment (maybe 2'x3', marked by either a cardboard box, or a tupperware bin with large holes drilled to allow the worms to move in and out as they wish, dependent on conditions on both inside and outside) inside the bigger box while my population is small (about 1,000 redworms to start), as well as using it as a more isolated compartment to protect some worms from the larger temp variations of the larger box, so that even if some of the worms are lost to the conditions, I will always have a core group to repopulate in the spring/fall after the temp extremes are gone? (That last one is tough to get through, so I thank you all who attempted to read it! Sorry for the ramblings, it's how I think.)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms